Scholarships & Finiancial aid for current college students?

In summary, there are scholarships available for current college students and they can be found through university financial aid offices, scholarship websites, and other sources. It is important to thoroughly research and apply for scholarships as they can greatly aid in covering tuition and other expenses. Additionally, it is crucial to carefully consider and understand the terms and conditions of student loans before taking them on.
flyingpig
I live in Canada and I am a rising sophomore.

Is there such thing as scholarships for current college students? If so where does one apply?

I live in Canada and my parents said they want me to take advantage of the student loan because there is no interest because i will be borrowing money from the government?

Anyone give me some insights?

Physics news on Phys.org
Might as well go for the loans regardless. There are things like continuing student scholarships, but without knowing what university you're at, it's impossible to say whether they offer them or if you'd have to look at private sponsors.

I don't know about Canada, but most colleges I know have their own list of scholarships. Beside that, you can search on fastweb.com for scholarships. In the libraries (in the US), they also have books on scholarship. Those are good place to look as well. I personally would look for scholarship before I look at loans.

Most people get scholarships entering college, but you don't apply to scholarships during college too often (unless it's a yearly renewal). There are usually annual awards or honors that you can try applying for, but there's still not very many and it's often hard to get. And most of the time, you don't even apply for them. They're simply givento you if they see you did something great (competitions, good undergrad research, minority, etc.).

Anonymous217 said:
Most people get scholarships entering college, but you don't apply to scholarships during college too often (unless it's a yearly renewal). There are usually annual awards or honors that you can try applying for, but there's still not very many and it's often hard to get. And most of the time, you don't even apply for them. They're simply givento you if they see you did something great (competitions, good undergrad research, minority, etc.).

I have to disagree with a lot of these points.

Most Canadian universities will have a financial aid office that also administates academic awards. Start there. Scholarships are available at all stages of university and there are many of them - a lot of which go unawarded because qualified applicants don't apply.

Do NOT assume that you're condisidered for an award just because you've applied to a particular program. Some awards are given that way, but not all of them. It can be a bit of a chore sorting through the awards, but if you find one you qualify for - it can be a meal ticket, so it's worth the investment.

Also at the original poster - if you look into student loans, make sure you actually read what you're signing up for. Your parents may be presenting an overly optimistic point of view. Taking out a loan as a student should be a last resort, not something to "take advantage of."

Choppy said:
Also at the original poster - if you look into student loans, make sure you actually read what you're signing up for. Your parents may be presenting an overly optimistic point of view. Taking out a loan as a student should be a last resort, not something to "take advantage of."

It is, however, often quite necessary. I would never expect to use grants and scholarships to fully cover my tuition and housing expenses. For the modern college kid (perhaps not in Canada -- I'm not aware of how expensive higher education is there) loans aren't much of a 'last resort'; rather, they're the mainstay of one's financial aid.

Choppy said:

I am interested in this because my parents NEVER listen to me, but always listen to other parents from OTHER universities.

Choppy said:
I have to disagree with a lot of these points.

Most Canadian universities will have a financial aid office that also administates academic awards. Start there. Scholarships are available at all stages of university and there are many of them - a lot of which go unawarded because qualified applicants don't apply.

Do NOT assume that you're condisidered for an award just because you've applied to a particular program. Some awards are given that way, but not all of them. It can be a bit of a chore sorting through the awards, but if you find one you qualify for - it can be a meal ticket, so it's worth the investment.

I'd agree with the point in looking at one's specific university. It often depends on what scholarships/awards/honors/FA you're talking about. The best bet would to search at your university first. Then state, national, and international awards/honors/scholarships. My initial post was a reflection of the latter, but the local level really varies a lot and there could be tons of money circulating or none.

Related to Scholarships & Finiancial aid for current college students?

1. What types of scholarships are available for current college students?

There are various types of scholarships available for current college students, including merit-based scholarships, need-based scholarships, athletic scholarships, and scholarships for specific majors or fields of study. There are also scholarships specifically for underrepresented groups, such as minority students or first-generation college students.

2. How do I apply for scholarships?

To apply for scholarships, you will typically need to fill out an application form and provide supporting documents, such as transcripts, letters of recommendation, and essays. The application process may also include an interview or additional requirements, depending on the scholarship.

3. Are scholarships only for students with high academic achievements?

No, scholarships are not only for students with high academic achievements. While some scholarships do have academic requirements, there are also scholarships available for students with other talents or experiences, such as community service or leadership activities.

4. Can I receive multiple scholarships at once?

Yes, it is possible to receive multiple scholarships at once. However, it is important to carefully read the terms and conditions of each scholarship to ensure there are no conflicts or restrictions.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of financial aid I can receive?

Yes, there is typically a limit to the amount of financial aid, including scholarships, that a student can receive. This limit may vary depending on the type of aid and the specific college or university. It is important to check with the financial aid office at your school for more information.