Scholarships for Master's Degrees Abroad in Math: How to Find and Apply

In summary, you may find a university that will give you a master's degree without a scholarship if you have a good GPA and are from a country that is not the UK.
ibc
Hello

I'm soon starting my third (and last) year to my bachelor's degree in math (primary, and a bit physics too) in a non-English-speaking country, and I'm thinking of doing a master's degree abroad (by abroad I mean USA, UK, or anyplace where they speak English)
So I've been wondering how possible it is to get a scholarship for a master's degree (in math) abroad, and what kind of tests I have to take to get it?
Also, where can I find out all the little details (like, what kind of achievements I must present, and in which university)
I'm sure it's nice to study in one of the top universities, but I am realistic, and more than willing to study in any of the "less prestigious" ones, the only problem is, I only know by name these extremely prestigious and famous universities. So how do I find a university (with decent math institution) that is willing to give me a master's degree scholarship?

Just to be sure, where I come from it's almost automatic (unless your grades are insufficient) that doing a master's degree = doing it with a scholarship, which means you become a university employee (being a grader, or Teacher Assistant).
So, is it like that in the rest of the world as well? or I might get "accepted to do a master's degree" but without a scholarship (or "job in the university"), which is not the situation I'm hoping for.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The chances of getting a scholarship to do a master's in the UK are slim, but slightly better for an international student over a UK student.

You may check the universities funding website, and most universities have various funding opportunities for international students. You may have to source funding from a different place than the uni, and there are also quite a few different establishments that will give international students money to study in the UK. I wouldn't guarantee on being funded though!

I think the USA has better prospects, where you get funded to do a master's as part of a master's + PhD packages, but I'll let someone from the US explain it!

There are some websites on which maintain databases of funding in the UK, so you could search for funding available to international students for math master's, for example. Here is one: http://www.postgraduatestudentships.co.uk/?gclid=CNL0vNvg6qMCFcH-2AodYA0A4Q

May I ask what country you are from?

Thanks
Scott

xGAME-OVERx said:
The chances of getting a scholarship to do a master's in the UK are slim, but slightly better for an international student over a UK student.

You may check the universities funding website, and most universities have various funding opportunities for international students. You may have to source funding from a different place than the uni, and there are also quite a few different establishments that will give international students money to study in the UK. I wouldn't guarantee on being funded though!

I think the USA has better prospects, where you get funded to do a master's as part of a master's + PhD packages, but I'll let someone from the US explain it!

There are some websites on which maintain databases of funding in the UK, so you could search for funding available to international students for math master's, for example. Here is one: http://www.postgraduatestudentships.co.uk/?gclid=CNL0vNvg6qMCFcH-2AodYA0A4Q

May I ask what country you are from?

Thanks
Scott

Thanks for the information.
So by what you say, most master's degree students are not doing it with a scholarship, in the UK? (I'm only referring to master's degree in exact science, of course when it comes to law school, medicine and such, most people need the degree to get a job elsewhere, thus want to pay for it)
And I was probably referring to the master's + PhD package, (I find it reasonable that the university would finance you during your high degrees in math, since it's very not likely to find a math-related job elsewhere, and also universities (should?) want to support people to continue research.

It doesn't seem like there are any math related things in the page you put.

I'm from Israel, studying at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. I think it's a respected university, and has a world-wide respected math institution, the question is if a degree there (with good enough grades) is enough to get into a university abroad (I think that naturally a US university would ascribe greater significance to a US bachelor's degree than a foreign one, for example).

So I'd be glad to hear more about possibilities in the US or Canada (or any other english speaking country, as mentioned. does anybody know if there's a decent exact science institution in Australia \ New Zealand ?)

by the way, I do have a US citizenship, if it matters? my problem is how much my israeli degree is worth abroad, or what kind of extra tests one must take to study abroad (how problematic is it for american universities that my first degree was done in an awkward right-to-left written language)?

Thanks again

ibc said:
Thanks for the information.
So by what you say, most master's degree students are not doing it with a scholarship, in the UK? (I'm only referring to master's degree in exact science, of course when it comes to law school, medicine and such, most people need the degree to get a job elsewhere, thus want to pay for it)
And I was probably referring to the master's + PhD package, (I find it reasonable that the university would finance you during your high degrees in math, since it's very not likely to find a math-related job elsewhere, and also universities (should?) want to support people to continue research.

There are a very few specific master's courses that are funded by scholarships, but these are mostly engineering/technology based. Apart from these, most people in every field (science, medicine, math, law, development, languages, psychology, etc, etc) are not supported by scholarships.

Also, the 1+3 master's+PhD is virtually non existent in this country. It is the exception rather than the rule.

ibc said:
It doesn't seem like there are any math related things in the page you put

That was an example of the kind of tools that are available to find postgrad funding. Several websites like this exist since it can be quite difficult in this country. The best way is to search the websites of the universities you are interested in for postgrad funding pages (this is very tedious, but necessary). If you'd like a list of institutions in the UK, you could try somewhere like the guardian university guide (http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/universityguide).

ibc said:
I'm from Israel, studying at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. I think it's a respected university, and has a world-wide respected math institution, the question is if a degree there (with good enough grade) is enough to get into a university abroad (I think that naturally a US university would ascribe greater significance to a US bachelor's degree than a foreign one, for example).

This is not necessarily true. I think they focus more on the strength of the institution than the country the institution is in, so you are in a good position in this regard.

ibc said:
by the way, I do have a US citizenship, if it matters? my problem is how much my israeli degree is worth abroad, or what kind of extra tests one must take to study abroad (how problematic is it for american universities that my first degree was done in a awkward right-to-left written language)?

Your university seems quite well respected, so your Israeli degree is worth the same as a degree from a similarly well respected US institution.

Universities in the US (and the UK, and probably Australia/Canada/New Zealand) will require you to take an English test if it is not your first language. The language your first degree was in doesn't matter at all.

All US institutions require you to take something called the general GRE, and a subject specific (math in your case) GRE, before you will be considered for postgrad studies. The GRE is explained on the GRE website.

Thanks
Scott

for your question! It's great that you are considering pursuing a master's degree in math abroad. There are many opportunities for scholarships for international students, and it's definitely worth exploring your options. Here are a few steps you can take to find and apply for scholarships for master's degrees abroad in math:

1. Research universities and programs: Start by researching universities and programs that offer master's degrees in math in the countries you are interested in. Look for universities that have strong math departments and a good reputation in your field of study.

2. Check for scholarship opportunities: Once you have a list of potential universities, check their websites for information on scholarships for international students. Many universities have specific scholarships for international students, so be sure to look for those.

3. Look for government scholarships: Many countries have government-sponsored scholarships for international students. For example, the UK has the Chevening Scholarship and the US has the Fulbright Scholarship. Check with your country's government to see if they offer any scholarships for studying abroad.

4. Contact the universities: If you can't find information on scholarships on the university's website, reach out to their admissions office or the math department to inquire about scholarship opportunities for international students. They may be able to provide you with more information or point you in the right direction.

5. Prepare for standardized tests: Many universities require international students to take standardized tests such as the GRE or GMAT. Be sure to check the requirements for the universities you are interested in and prepare for these tests accordingly.

6. Prepare your application materials: In addition to standardized test scores, you will also need to prepare other application materials such as transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Make sure to give yourself enough time to collect and prepare these materials before the application deadline.

In terms of your question about scholarships and becoming a university employee, it varies from university to university. Some scholarships may include a work component, while others may not. It's important to research the specific details of each scholarship you are interested in to understand what is expected of you as a scholarship recipient.

Overall, the key is to start your research early and be proactive in seeking out scholarship opportunities. Good luck in your search for a master's degree abroad in math!

FAQ: Scholarships for Master's Degrees Abroad in Math: How to Find and Apply

1. What are the benefits of getting a Master's degree abroad?

There are several benefits to getting a Master's degree abroad. Firstly, it allows you to gain a global perspective and understanding of different cultures, which can be highly valuable in today's interconnected world. Secondly, it can enhance your language skills and make you more marketable in an increasingly diverse job market. Additionally, studying abroad can provide opportunities for personal growth and independence. Finally, many universities abroad have high-quality programs and facilities, providing you with a top-notch education.

2. How do I choose the right country and university for my Master's degree?

Choosing the right country and university for your Master's degree can be a daunting task. One way to narrow down your options is to consider the program offerings and reputation of the universities in a particular country. You should also research the cost of living, visa requirements, and potential job opportunities in the country after graduation. It's also important to consider your personal preferences, such as the language spoken in the country and the cultural environment.

3. What are the language requirements for studying a Master's degree abroad?

The language requirements for studying a Master's degree abroad will vary depending on the country and university you choose. Some universities may require you to have a certain level of proficiency in the language of instruction, while others may offer language courses for international students. It's best to check with the specific university you are interested in to determine their language requirements.

4. How much does it cost to get a Master's degree abroad?

The cost of getting a Master's degree abroad will depend on various factors, such as the country and university you choose, the program you are enrolled in, and your living expenses. Tuition fees may also vary for international students compared to domestic students. It's important to research and budget for all potential costs, including tuition, housing, food, transportation, and any additional fees.

5. Are there scholarships available for international students pursuing a Master's degree abroad?

Yes, there are scholarships available for international students pursuing a Master's degree abroad. These scholarships can be offered by the government, universities, or private organizations. It's important to research and apply for these scholarships early, as they can be competitive. Additionally, you may also consider applying for financial aid or loans to help cover the costs of your education abroad.

Back