Schrödinger Equation in the classical limit

In summary, the Ehrenfest theorem states that if you reduce the Schrödinger equation to classical physics, you get the same equation as if you let c tend to infinity.
Erland
Science Advisor
I am currently trying to learn a little about quantum mechanics, although not on very detailed level. There is one thing I wonder:

What happens with the Schrödinger Equation in the classical limit, i.e. when either the mass of the particle tends to infinity or when Planck's constant tends to 0?
Somehow, this should be reduced to classical physics, similar to letting c tend to infinity in the Lorentz Transformation leads to the Galilei Transformation. But I cannot see how we get some classical equation from the Schrödinger Equation in a similar case...

Likes Jano L.
Physics news on Phys.org
Erland said:
I am currently trying to learn a little about quantum mechanics, although not on very detailed level. There is one thing I wonder:

What happens with the Schrödinger Equation in the classical limit, i.e. when either the mass of the particle tends to infinity or when Planck's constant tends to 0?

Big mass does not imply classical object. So the classical limit, as you will see below, concerns only with Planck constant.
Start from the Schrodinger equation (if you know it):
[tex]i \hbar \frac{ \partial \Psi ( x , t )}{ \partial t } = H ( \hat{ x } , \hat{ p } ) \Psi ( x , t ) .[/tex]
Now substitute
[tex]\Psi ( x , t ) = R( x , t ) e^{ i S ( x , t ) / \hbar } ,[/tex]
in the Schrodinger equation, you find
[tex]\frac{ i \hbar }{ R } \frac{ \partial R }{ \partial t } = \frac{ \partial S }{ \partial t } + H ( \hat{ x } , \frac{ \partial S }{ \partial \hat{ x } } ) .[/tex]
So formally, in the limit [itex]\hbar \rightarrow 0[/itex], you obtain the classical Hamilton-Jacobi equation
[tex]\frac{ \partial S }{ \partial t } + H ( x , \frac{ \partial S }{ \partial x } ) = 0 .[/tex]
What really is happening in the classical limit is that, there is a wave packet of width much larger than the de Broglie wave length, in the detailed Scrodinger equation you will have
[tex] \frac{ \hbar^{ 2 } }{ 2 m } | \frac{ \nabla^{ 2 } R }{ R } | \ll | \frac{ ( \nabla S )^{ 2 } }{ 2 m } | .[/tex]

Likes vanhees71
Thanks! I guess I have to look up Hamilton-Jacobi theory.

Related to Schrödinger Equation in the classical limit

1. What is the Schrödinger Equation in the classical limit?

The Schrödinger Equation in the classical limit is a mathematical equation that describes the dynamics of a quantum system in terms of classical mechanics. It is derived from the standard Schrödinger Equation by taking the limit of large quantum numbers, where the effects of quantum mechanics become negligible and classical mechanics can be applied.

2. How is the classical limit of the Schrödinger Equation obtained?

The classical limit of the Schrödinger Equation is obtained by considering the limit of large quantum numbers, such as large mass or large action. This limit is often referred to as the correspondence principle, where the behavior of a quantum system converges to that of a classical system in the limit of large quantum numbers.

3. What are the main differences between the Schrödinger Equation and its classical limit?

The main differences between the Schrödinger Equation and its classical limit are the use of different mathematical formalisms. The Schrödinger Equation is a wave equation that describes the evolution of a quantum state, while its classical limit uses classical mechanics to describe the behavior of the system. Additionally, the Schrödinger Equation allows for superposition of states and does not specify the exact position or momentum of a particle, whereas the classical limit only considers definite positions and momenta.

4. How does the classical limit of the Schrödinger Equation relate to classical mechanics?

The classical limit of the Schrödinger Equation relates to classical mechanics by providing a way to bridge the gap between the two theories. In the classical limit, the behavior of a quantum system is described by classical mechanics, allowing for a more intuitive understanding of the system's dynamics. This correspondence also helps to explain how classical mechanics emerges from quantum mechanics at the macroscopic level.

5. What are some practical applications of the classical limit of the Schrödinger Equation?

The classical limit of the Schrödinger Equation has various practical applications in fields such as chemistry, material science, and engineering. It is used to model the behavior of large molecules and systems with many particles, where the effects of quantum mechanics can be neglected. This allows for easier and more efficient calculations of their properties and behaviors. The classical limit is also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computers, which rely on the principles of the classical limit to function.