Schrödinger's cat paradox explaination

In summary, the conversation revolves around the paradox of Schrodinger's Cat, which is used to demonstrate the absurdity of quantum mechanics. The cat is both dead and alive at the same time until it is observed, which challenges our everyday world intuition. Some believe this shows the strangeness of the world, while others see it as a reflection of the strangeness of quantum mechanics. However, some argue that this is an over-exaggeration and that the concept of probability in quantum mechanics is sufficient to understand it. The discussion also touches on the role of human subjectivity in this paradox.
ARR0624
I understand the set up of the paradox...

I just do not understand what it is trying to explain
Any one mind trying to dumb this down?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The paradox is the dead-alive state that the cat is in before the observation.

The paradox is designed to make quantum mechanics look absurd or equivalently show that quantum mechanics predicts an absurd world.

Some people interperet this as saying the world is strange, and some people interpret it as saying quantum mechanics is strange.

For the record, "Shrodinger's cat" originated as a throw-away line in one of Shrodinger's papers about the statistical interpretation of wave mechanics, and the writing is neutral enough, with the author suggesting the absurdity of the cat situation, and allowing the reader to draw his conclusions.

Yup, it basically is saying that QM is strange because our everyday world intuition says the cat is either dead or alive, we just don't know. QM says its both :P

ARR0624 said:
I understand the set up of the paradox...

I just do not understand what it is trying to explain
Any one mind trying to dumb this down?

Thanks.

Please do a search in this forum for this topic. There have been plenty.

Zz.

Schrodinger's Cat is really quite a naff idea; it's been heavily overused and misquoted as something meaningful. Obviously you can't have a cat that's half alive and half dead. Talking about Schrodinger's Cat as being about anything meaningful makes about as much sense as talking about going past the egde of the universe, or asking what happened before the Big Bang.

This issue is being very exaggerated.
The cat can be both dead and alive at the same time , unless you can do an observation.
This is somehow close to the following statement(i don't know if i wrote it right): If a tree falls in a forest and there is nobody around ,will the crash make a sound ?
I believe the problem is when we include our human subjective into the system.Just because in our understanding mean that something is absurd , that doesn't mean that it's wrong..
The strange thing about this world and QM is us..

There is a thing called 'probability' in quantum mechanics. One does not need to go into overdrive with philosophical questions or claiming that it is as useless as discussing what happened before Big Bang to understand that.

Thank you all who answered and I'm sorry zapper for not searching before I posted a new thread.

FAQ: Schrödinger's cat paradox explaination

1. What is Schrödinger's cat paradox?

Schrödinger's cat paradox is a thought experiment proposed by physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1935. It explores the concept of superposition in quantum mechanics, where a particle can exist in multiple states simultaneously, and how this applies to macroscopic objects.

2. How does the paradox work?

In the thought experiment, a cat is placed in a sealed box with a vial of poison and a radioactive substance that has a 50% chance of decaying in one hour. According to quantum mechanics, until the box is opened and observed, the cat exists in a state of both alive and dead, known as superposition. It is only when the box is opened and observed that the superposition collapses into one definitive state, either alive or dead.

3. What is the significance of this paradox?

The paradox highlights the strange and complex nature of quantum mechanics and raises questions about the role of observation and measurement in determining reality. It also challenges our understanding of macroscopic objects and the boundaries between the quantum and classical worlds.

4. Is the paradox applicable in real-life situations?

No, the paradox is purely a thought experiment and does not have any real-life implications. It was proposed by Schrödinger to illustrate the absurdity of applying quantum mechanics principles to macroscopic objects.

5. How have scientists attempted to explain the paradox?

There have been various attempts to explain the paradox, such as the many-worlds interpretation and the Copenhagen interpretation. These interpretations suggest that the cat exists in both states simultaneously, but the observer's perception and knowledge determine the reality of the situation.