Schwinger Effect: Observed or Proven?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of observing the Schwinger effect, specifically in the context of e^+e^- pair production by a focused laser pulse in vacuum and pulsations of the electron-positron plasma in the field of optical lasers. It is noted that this effect has not yet been observed, and it has been argued that it may not be experimentally accessible. The conversation also mentions the lack of detection of photon-photon scattering, which involves the creation of virtual electron-positron pairs.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I am not a frequenter of this forum so please excuse me if my
question is old hat or common knowledge.
has the Schwinger effect been observed or proven.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks humanino

Not even photon-photon scattering, a phenomena arising from creation of virtual electron-positron pairs, has been detected.

At least I hope no one has yet, since I'm working on it right now... :-p

Related to Schwinger Effect: Observed or Proven?

What is the Schwinger Effect?

The Schwinger Effect, also known as the Schwinger pair production or vacuum breakdown, is a quantum phenomenon where a strong electric field can create particles out of the vacuum. These particle-antiparticle pairs are created from the energy of the electric field and can be observed in experiments.

How is the Schwinger Effect observed?

The Schwinger Effect is observed through experiments that involve strong electric fields, such as in particle accelerators or laser experiments. By measuring the number and properties of the particles produced, scientists can confirm the presence of the Schwinger Effect.

Is the Schwinger Effect proven?

The Schwinger Effect is a well-established phenomenon in quantum physics and has been confirmed through numerous experiments. However, like all scientific theories, it is always subject to further testing and refinement.

What are the implications of the Schwinger Effect?

The Schwinger Effect has important implications in the fields of quantum mechanics and particle physics. It helps us understand the nature of the vacuum and how particles can be created from seemingly empty space. It also has potential applications in technologies such as particle accelerators and quantum computing.

Can the Schwinger Effect be observed in everyday life?

No, the Schwinger Effect can only be observed in extreme conditions, such as in high-energy experiments. In everyday life, the electric fields are not strong enough to produce the necessary energy for the creation of particle-antiparticle pairs.