Science Fair Question: Unifying Forces and Winning Science Fairs

In summary: I think I'll mention it in my project. And the first one was really good. I liked the idea of slowingphotons down. There's a project I want to do where I slow down photons to the point where they're not visible to the naked eye.
Willis666
Okay, I plan on going to county science fair after my school science fair this year. I'm in 9th grade, and did a double slit experiment (with light!.) A friend of mine (best friend) has won first place before on a county and state level (same experiment.) And several grand prizes type things. He also won several second place science fairs. He told me that my project was good, and could win first place on the county level, if I some how tie it into modern (last 20 years or so.) science. I'm stumped on this one. Should i mention the electromagnetic force being a primary part of the unification of forces (string theory?) And tie that into my future work portion(that I plan on working on string theory as an adult.) The friend of mine who won the science fair last year merely found the best growing conditions for green algae, which obviously CO2, light, etc. are the best, but he tied in future work of using green algae for oil, and ended up winning.

Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could probably mention what happens if you do the double slit experiment on electrons...

This goes back a bit further than 20 years, but I think this is what your friend was getting at: why was the original double slit experiment important? What new ideas did it inspire, and what major theories that are still used heavily today came about as a result? What about physics today might be drastically different if not for the original double slit experiment?

micromass said:
You could probably mention what happens if you do the double slit experiment on electrons...

I mention it near the end.

Edit: Thanks for the suggestions leveret! This is my first science fair, so I'm hoping to do good.

The latest news on photographing the track of a photn going thru the double slit would be good:

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2011/06/an-experiment-that-just-keeps-on-giving.ars

and checkout the top ten breakthrus for ideas for future discussion:

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/48126

and lastly a Physorg article:

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-01-which-way-detector-mystery-double-slit.html

There was also an article about light being photographed / slowed down:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...-with-trillion-frames-per-second-video-camera

and cloaking device:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ing-Scientists-create-device-hide-events.html

Last edited:

Related to Science Fair Question: Unifying Forces and Winning Science Fairs

1. What is the purpose of the "Unifying Forces and Winning Science Fairs" science fair question?

The purpose of this science fair question is to investigate the concept of unifying forces and how they can be utilized to create winning science fair projects. By exploring this topic, students can gain a better understanding of the underlying principles and common themes behind successful science fair projects.

2. What are some examples of unifying forces in science fair projects?

Unifying forces can include concepts such as the scientific method, critical thinking, and creativity. These forces work together to help students develop a well-designed and impactful science fair project. Other examples may include collaboration, communication, and attention to detail.

3. How can understanding unifying forces help students win science fairs?

By understanding the unifying forces that contribute to successful science fair projects, students can better plan and execute their own projects. By utilizing these forces effectively, students can create a project that stands out and impresses judges, increasing their chances of winning the science fair.

4. What are some tips for incorporating unifying forces into a science fair project?

Some tips for incorporating unifying forces into a science fair project include: thoroughly planning and researching the project, using the scientific method to guide the experiment, thinking creatively and outside the box, and effectively communicating the project to others.

5. How can students continue to apply the concept of unifying forces beyond the science fair?

The concept of unifying forces is not limited to just science fair projects. Students can continue to apply these principles in their future scientific endeavors, whether it be in school or in a professional setting. By understanding how these forces work together, students can become more effective and successful in their scientific pursuits.