Scientific notebook - plotting 3d surface

In summary, to create a 3D surface plot in a scientific notebook, a software or programming language with 3D plotting capabilities is needed. The plot typically has three axes, x, y, and z, representing independent and dependent variables. Customization options such as colors, legends, and viewing angle can be used. A contour plot is a 2D representation of a 3D surface plot, and 3D surface plots have limitations such as difficulty in interpretation and only being suitable for continuous data. Careful consideration is needed when using 3D surface plots in scientific research.
t_n_p
Hi, I wish to plot a 3d surface but as of now have not been able to!

I wish to plot z=f(x,y)=[x²+y²-1]^1/2 restricted to the domain:

dom(f) = {(x,y)|=1 ≤ x² + y² ≤5}

Any step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
bump! anyone!

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your interest in plotting a 3d surface. I understand the importance of accurately representing data and visualizing complex relationships.

To plot the function z=f(x,y)=[x²+y²-1]^1/2 in the specified domain, you will need to follow these steps:

1. First, make sure you have a software or program that can plot 3d surfaces. Some popular options include MATLAB, Python's Matplotlib, and Wolfram Mathematica.

2. Next, define your function in the program using the notation z=f(x,y)=[x²+y²-1]^1/2. This will create a mathematical expression that the program can understand and plot.

3. Then, specify the domain of your function using the notation dom(f) = {(x,y)|=1 ≤ x² + y² ≤5}. This will restrict the plot to only show values within this domain.

4. Once your function and domain are defined, you can use the program's plotting function to generate the 3d surface. Make sure to label the axes and add a title to your plot for clarity.

I hope these instructions are helpful in achieving your goal of plotting a 3d surface. As always, feel free to reach out with any further questions or concerns. Happy plotting!

FAQ: Scientific notebook - plotting 3d surface

1. How do I create a 3D surface plot in my scientific notebook?

To create a 3D surface plot in your scientific notebook, you will need to use a software or programming language that supports 3D plotting. Some popular options include MATLAB, Python with libraries such as Matplotlib or Plotly, and R with libraries like ggplot2 or plotly. These tools have built-in functions or packages specifically for creating 3D surface plots.

2. What are the axes and labels for a 3D surface plot?

A 3D surface plot typically has three axes - x, y, and z. The x and y axes represent the independent variables, while the z axis represents the dependent variable. The labels for these axes should be descriptive and clearly indicate what each variable represents in the plot.

3. How can I customize the appearance of a 3D surface plot?

Most software or programming languages have options for customizing the appearance of 3D surface plots. This includes changing the colors, adding a legend, adjusting the viewing angle, and adding titles and annotations. Refer to the documentation for your chosen tool to learn more about the available customization options.

4. What is a contour plot and how is it related to 3D surface plots?

A contour plot is a 2D plot that represents the same data as a 3D surface plot. It uses lines of equal value (contours) to visualize the relationship between two or more variables. A contour plot can be created from a 3D surface plot by projecting it onto a 2D plane. This can be useful for visualizing cross-sections of the 3D surface or identifying areas of interest.

5. Are there any limitations to using 3D surface plots in scientific research?

While 3D surface plots can be visually appealing and helpful for understanding complex relationships between variables, they do have some limitations. One limitation is that they can be difficult to interpret accurately, especially if the plot is cluttered or the viewing angle is not optimal. Additionally, 3D surface plots can only represent continuous data, so they may not be suitable for visualizing discrete or categorical data. It is important to carefully consider the use of 3D surface plots in scientific research and to use them in conjunction with other visualizations and statistical analyses.