Scientist's Bucket List: What's On Yours?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a bucket list and how it applies to scientists. They mention specific items that could be on a scientist's bucket list, such as understanding a science theory or mastering a subject like fluid dynamics. The conversation also touches on the idea of reincarnation and the slow absorption of knowledge. The speaker is curious about what the original poster would have on their bucket list.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Nowadays I read a lot about people's bucket list. For members not familiar with the concept, a bucket list are a list of things they really want to do before they die. For example, some people might really want to try parachute jumping or riding an elephant.

But when it comes to us scientists, surely we have a bucket list too. For example, it might be some science theory we really want to understand or even find, or it might be some book we really want to read.

If you were to have a bucket list, what would be on it?

Likes S.G. Janssens
Physics news on Phys.org
Measuring single ion heats of formation/solution.

micromass said:
For example, it might be some science theory we really want to understand
For me there is a lot in this category.

For example, I would very much like to gain a detailed understanding of both the rigorous mathematical underpinnings as well as the physical foundations and engineering applications of fluid dynamics. Because this is a very large subject, my focus is currently elsewhere and I absorb knowledge quite slowly, I hope for reincarnation.

I'm curious what you (= the OP) would have on your list?

Related to Scientist's Bucket List: What's On Yours?

1. What is the purpose of a scientist's bucket list?

A scientist's bucket list serves as a way to set personal and professional goals, expand one's knowledge and skills, and experience new and exciting opportunities within the field of science.

2. Can anyone create a scientist's bucket list?

Yes, anyone with an interest in science can create a scientist's bucket list. It can be tailored to your specific interests and goals within the field.

3. What are some common items on a scientist's bucket list?

Some common items on a scientist's bucket list may include conducting research in a specific location, publishing a paper in a prestigious journal, attending a conference or workshop, or collaborating with renowned scientists.

4. Is it important for scientists to have a bucket list?

Having a bucket list can help scientists stay motivated, focused, and continuously strive for personal and professional growth within their field. It can also lead to new discoveries and advancements in science.

5. How often should a scientist's bucket list be updated?

A scientist's bucket list can be updated as often as desired, depending on individual goals and aspirations. It is important to regularly review and adjust the list to ensure it remains challenging and relevant to one's career path.