Scipy/numpy 2D array: how to define with a function?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for creating a matrix of values with the rule Element i,j = F(i,j). The first method involves using a for loop to append values to a list and then using the numpy array and reshape functions to create the matrix. The second method involves using the numpy meshgrid function. The conversation also mentions range(0,n) and range(n) as interchangeable for creating a list.
Dunhausen
I want to make a matrix of values as so:

F(0,0) . . . F(1,n)
F(n,1) . . . F(n,n)

I could of course do it like this

Code:
list=[]
for i in range(0,n):
     for j in range(0,n):
     list.append(F(i,j))
a=array(list)
a.reshape(n,n)

But I am curious if there is a more elegant way to build an array with the rule Element i,j = F(i,j) ?

When working with 1-d arrays, I am accustomed to their savvy nature eliminating all need for 'for loops' in my code.

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Code:
a = numpy.empty((n+1,n+1))
for i in range(0,n):
    for j in range(0,n):
        a[i,j] = F(i,j)

or
Code:
i,j = numpy.meshgrid(range(0,n), range(0,n))
a = F(i,j)

Last edited:
That is excellent! Thank you. :)

Also, didn't have chance to edit, but range(n) generates the same list as range(0,n), if you want to be slightly more concise.

Is there a similar trick to 2D arrays?

Yes, there is a more elegant way to define a 2D array with a function using Scipy and Numpy. The key is to use the numpy.fromfunction() function, which allows you to create an array by executing a function over each element.

For example, to create a 2D array with the rule Element i,j = F(i,j), you can use the following code:

import numpy as np
def F(i,j):
return i+j # define your function here

n = 5 # define the size of the array
a = np.fromfunction(F, (n,n)) # create the array using the function and size
print(a) # print the array to see the result

The output will be as follows:

[[0. 1. 2. 3. 4.]
[1. 2. 3. 4. 5.]
[2. 3. 4. 5. 6.]
[3. 4. 5. 6. 7.]
[4. 5. 6. 7. 8.]]

This method avoids the use of for loops and is more efficient for large arrays. You can also use this method for more complex functions, as long as they can take in two indices as inputs and return a single value.

I hope this helps!

Related to Scipy/numpy 2D array: how to define with a function?

1. What is a 2D array in SciPy/numpy?

A 2D array, also known as a matrix, is a data structure in SciPy/numpy that contains elements organized in rows and columns. It is a useful tool for storing and manipulating data in scientific computing.

2. How do you define a 2D array in SciPy/numpy?

To define a 2D array in SciPy/numpy, you can use the numpy.array() function and pass in a list of lists as an argument, where the outer list represents the rows and the inner lists represent the columns.

3. How can you create a 2D array using a function in SciPy/numpy?

To create a 2D array using a function in SciPy/numpy, you can use the numpy.fromfunction() function. This function takes in a function as an argument and uses it to generate the values for the elements in the array.

4. Can you manipulate a 2D array in SciPy/numpy using mathematical operations?

Yes, you can manipulate a 2D array in SciPy/numpy using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations are applied element-wise on the array.

5. How do you access specific elements in a 2D array in SciPy/numpy?

You can access specific elements in a 2D array in SciPy/numpy by using the array's index notation. For example, to access the element in the second row and third column, you would use array_name[1,2], as indexing in SciPy/numpy starts from 0.