Sealing Rotating Rod: Efficient Solution?

In summary, the yellow part inside the cylinder has been made transparent for ease. To make the fluid not leak, the sealing of the rod and cylinder should be completely sealed...this has been done, but rod cannot be rotated in this situation independent of the cylinder. If it has to be rotated, there should be a friction lining on the sealing which will allow the rod to rotate yet maintain the sealing; but this way is inefficient, i.e since there's friction, there will be a resistance to the rotation of the rod and the sealing with degrade with time as the rod continues to rotate. So is there any efficient way known to do the same as above; for example with bearing so as to
dE_logics
Imagine a solid rod passing through a cylinder filled with a fluid at certain pressure -

attachment.php?attachmentid=19490&stc=1&d=1246249610.jpg

The yellow part inside in the fluid, the cylinder has been made transparent for ease.

To make the fluid not leak, the sealing of the rod and cylinder should be completely sealed...this has been done, but rod cannot be rotated in this situation independent of the cylinder.

If it has to be rotated, there should be a friction lining on the sealing which will allow the rod to rotate yet maintain the sealing; but this way is inefficient, i.e since there's friction, there will be a resistance to the rotation of the rod and the sealing with degrade with time as the rod continues to rotate.

So is there any efficient way known to do the same as above; for example with bearing so as to reduce friction?

Attachments

• Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 672
Engineering news on Phys.org
Lip seals offer very little resistance since they require being lubricated by the fluid you are sealing. I would suggest looking into them.

Too bad we don't have a wiki article on that.

I'll have a look.

But it's not that much of fool proof right...I mean if the pressure is too high, like in a compressor, it's resistance will too increase.

Can you specify the requirements the seal will have to operate under? I have used lip seals under a lot of different applications.

You could also look at a dynamic o-ring seal.

FredGarvin said:
Can you specify the requirements the seal will have to operate under? I have used lip seals under a lot of different applications.

You could also look at a dynamic o-ring seal.

For instance replacement of a centrifugal pump with a 'fan based' pump...just one small example.

Bob S said:
Some high vacuum applications for rotating feedthroughs use a ferrofluidic seal. See
http://www.ferrotec.com/products/ferrofluidic/
Other solutions use dual seals on each end with a pumpout between them.

That ferrotec one, but it works only a magnetic fluid right?

Can I get a bit more detail about that pumpout technique?

dE_logics said:
For instance replacement of a centrifugal pump with a 'fan based' pump...just one small example.

I meant in terms of pressure difference across the seal and shaft RPM.

Any variation.

Similar to what is in a compressor.

So the RPM will be very high.

'O' Rings inside the cylinder of adequate material would work.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Sealing Rotating Rod: Efficient Solution?

1. What is a sealing rotating rod?

A sealing rotating rod is a component used in machinery to prevent leakage of fluids or gases from a rotating shaft. It is typically made of a flexible material, such as rubber or plastic, and is designed to create a tight seal against the rotating shaft.

2. Why is a sealing rotating rod important?

A sealing rotating rod is important because it helps to maintain the integrity and efficiency of machinery. By preventing leaks, it ensures that fluids or gases are properly contained and do not escape or cause damage to the equipment. This can also help to reduce maintenance costs and downtime.

3. How does a sealing rotating rod work?

A sealing rotating rod works by creating a seal between the rotating shaft and the stationary component of the machinery. This is typically achieved through the use of pressure, friction, or a combination of both. The seal is designed to be flexible enough to accommodate the movement of the rotating shaft, while still maintaining a tight seal.

4. What makes the sealing rotating rod an efficient solution?

The sealing rotating rod is an efficient solution because it is designed to be long-lasting and reliable. It can withstand high temperatures and pressures, as well as exposure to various chemicals and fluids. Additionally, it is relatively easy to install and replace, making it a cost-effective solution for preventing leaks in machinery.

5. Are there different types of sealing rotating rods available?

Yes, there are different types of sealing rotating rods available, including lip seals, labyrinth seals, and mechanical seals. The type of seal used will depend on the specific application and requirements of the machinery. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the best type of sealing rotating rod for your needs.