Search for New Particles: How Far Can We Go?

• Thread starter bugatti79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, the conversation discusses the recent hype surrounding the Higgs boson and the potential discovery of a new type of particle through the technicolour force field. The question is raised about the possibility of there being countless other particles yet to be discovered, but it is mentioned that particle discovery has slowed down in recent years. There are differing opinions on whether there are more particles to be discovered or if they have all been found already.
bugatti79
Folks,

There's hype lately regarding the Higgs boson in which some results from CERN are to be revealed next tuesday detailing its existence or not. Then I heard about a new type of force field called technicolour which would indicate a new type of particle.

The question I have is, how do we know that there are not a million types of different particles.

Ie, the harder you smash atoms, newer particles are discovered (thats my interpretation)

They seem to be discovering new particles all the time...where does it end?

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bugatti79 said:
Folks,

There's hype lately regarding the Higgs boson in which some results from CERN are to be revealed next tuesday detailing its existence or not. Then I heard about a new type of force field called technicolour which would indicate a new type of particle.

The question I have is, how do we know that there are not a million types of different particles.

Ie, the harder you smash atoms, newer particles are discovered (thats my interpretation)

They seem to be discovering new particles all the time...where does it end?

thanks

That was true a few decades ago, but particle discovery has slowed down a lot. Just about all the particles predicted by QCD (quark theory) have been discovered, with the Higgs being the big holdout. Some think that there are no more particles, some expect that that very high energy particles called supersymmetric partners exist.

Related to Search for New Particles: How Far Can We Go?

1. What is the purpose of the search for new particles?

The purpose of the search for new particles is to expand our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe. By discovering new particles, scientists can gain insight into the laws of nature and potentially unlock new technologies and advancements.

2. How do scientists search for new particles?

Scientists use powerful particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, to collide particles at high speeds. By analyzing the particles that are produced from these collisions, scientists can search for new and rare particles that may exist beyond what is currently known.

3. How far can we go in the search for new particles?

The search for new particles is an ongoing process, and there is no limit to how far we can go. As technology advances and particle accelerators become more powerful, scientists are able to probe deeper into the subatomic world and potentially discover new particles that were previously undetectable.

4. What are some potential implications of discovering new particles?

The discovery of new particles could have significant implications in various fields, including physics, cosmology, and technology. It could lead to a better understanding of the origins of the universe, the behavior of matter, and the possibility of new energy sources and medical treatments.

5. Are there any risks associated with the search for new particles?

There are no known risks associated with the search for new particles. Particle accelerators are designed and operated with strict safety protocols in place to ensure the well-being of both scientists and the general public. However, as with any scientific advancement, ethical considerations must be taken into account to ensure responsible use of new discoveries.

Back