Searching for a Book on Statistical Mechanics - Help Appreciated!

In summary, the conversation is about finding a suitable book to supplement Professor Susskind's lectures on statistical mechanics. One person recommends Pathria as a good choice, while another suggests Peliti's "Statistical Mechanics in a Nutshell" for a more mathematical approach. The original poster is relieved to hear that they have chosen Pathria as their supplement.
silverwhale
Hallo Everybody,

I am following Professor Susskinds lectures on statistical mechanics, but can't find an appropriate book that is in line with what is presented in the lectures.
Can anyone recommend a book that the lectures follow or which presents the same ideas as in the lectures?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Once you get past the first couple lectures, his lectures become more standard. Any book, such as Pathria for example, would be good as a supplement. If you want something more mathematical, you could try Peliti's statistical mechanics in a nutshell.

Thanks for your reply! I am working with Pathria indeed! So I am happy I made the right choice!

Related to Searching for a Book on Statistical Mechanics - Help Appreciated!

What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain and predict the behavior of systems composed of a large number of particles.

Why is statistical mechanics important?

Statistical mechanics is important because it provides a framework for understanding the behavior of complex systems, such as gases, liquids, and solids. It also helps to bridge the gap between microscopic and macroscopic phenomena.

What are some common applications of statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics has many practical applications, including in thermodynamics, material science, and biophysics. It is also used in fields such as chemistry, engineering, and economics.

How do I search for a book on statistical mechanics?

To search for a book on statistical mechanics, you can use online databases or search engines like Google Scholar or WorldCat. You can also visit your local library or bookstore and ask for assistance from a librarian or bookseller.

Can you recommend any specific books on statistical mechanics?

Some popular books on statistical mechanics include "Statistical Mechanics" by R. K. Pathria, "Thermal Physics" by Charles Kittel and Herbert Kroemer, and "Introduction to Modern Statistical Mechanics" by David Chandler. It is also recommended to check for books that are relevant to your specific interests or research topic.