Searching for a Chemical Reaction to Produce Heat and Harmless Gas

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a chemical reaction that involves a reactant and air to produce an exothermic reaction and a harmless gas. The aim is to produce heat and the type of harmless gas is not important as long as it is breathable. The person is directed to look into technologies such as heat packs and to do some research on the chemical reactions used in those products. The conversation ends with the person expressing gratitude for the help and stating that they now know what to use.
lrussell
Hi,

wondering if you could help me.
I want to find a chemical reaction that would involve:

Reactant + Air (or gases present within)----Exothermic----> Harmless gas

Any help would be appreciated if you knew of a chemical that I could use to react with air to produce heat and a harmless gas(es). The aim of the reaction is just to produce heat by the way. Not interested in what harmless gas is produced but it has to be breathable.

Thanks a lot

lrussell

Chemistry news on Phys.org

lrussell said:
Hi,

wondering if you could help me.
I want to find a chemical reaction that would involve:

Reactant + Air (or gases present within)----Exothermic----> Harmless gas

Any help would be appreciated if you knew of a chemical that I could use to react with air to produce heat and a harmless gas(es). The aim of the reaction is just to produce heat by the way. Not interested in what harmless gas is produced but it has to be breathable.

Thanks a lot

lrussell

Welcome to the PF.

This technology is used in "Heat Packs" that activate when exposed to air. You should look into what chemical process they use. You can find them in the camping section of your hardware store, or at sporting goods stores.

S_Head_02b.jpg

Thanks, any idea what chemicals react though? I'll look into the bags as well to see if it says

lrussell said:
Thanks, any idea what chemicals react though? I'll look into the bags as well to see if it says

I'm an EE, so no clues about the chemical reaction that is used. However, because of the popularity of hot packs, I'm guessing they are using probably the best available reaction, and are relatively safe.

To get more info on the reaction, I googled Hot Packs Chemical Reaction With Air, and got lots of hits. Hopefully these help:

http://www.google.com/search?source...action+with+air&gs_upl=0l0l0l5004lllllllllll0

Thanks a lot you've been a huge help. I know what to use now

Related to Searching for a Chemical Reaction to Produce Heat and Harmless Gas

1. What is the purpose of searching for a chemical reaction to produce heat and harmless gas?

The purpose of this research is to find a safe and efficient way to produce heat and gas for various industrial and household applications. This can potentially replace current methods that may be harmful to the environment or require non-renewable resources.

2. How are chemical reactions used to produce heat and harmless gas?

Chemical reactions involve the breaking and forming of chemical bonds, which releases energy in the form of heat. By carefully selecting the reactants and controlling the reaction conditions, it is possible to produce a specific gas as a byproduct, such as water vapor or carbon dioxide, which are harmless to the environment.

3. What factors are important to consider when searching for a chemical reaction to produce heat and harmless gas?

Some important factors to consider include the availability and cost of reactants, the efficiency of the reaction, the safety and environmental impact of the reaction, and the scalability of the process for large-scale production.

4. What are some potential applications of a chemical reaction that produces heat and harmless gas?

This type of reaction could be used in industries that require heat, such as manufacturing, or in heating systems for buildings and homes. It could also be used in fuel cells to generate electricity, or as a clean and renewable source of energy for transportation.

5. What challenges or limitations may arise in finding a suitable chemical reaction for this purpose?

Some challenges may include finding a reaction that can produce enough heat and gas to be practical, while also being safe and environmentally friendly. Additionally, the cost and availability of reactants, as well as the complexity of the reaction process, may also pose limitations.