Searching for a graduate program in optics

In summary, the individual is entering their senior year of undergrad and is looking for grad school options for a PhD in Optics. Their advisors have recommended the Institute of Optics (Rochester), Optical Sciences Center (Arizona), Dayton, and CREOL, but they are seeking outside sources for more information. Some suggestions for good schools include University of Iowa and Cornell.
brchuz
Hello everyone,
I'm entering my senior year of undergrad this fall so its about that time to find a grad school. My majors are physics (emphasizing in optics) and mathematics. I've done research for 2 years mainly in spectroscopy. I'm interested in finding a grad school for a PhD in Optics. My advisors push for Institute of Optics (Rochester), Optical Sciences Center (Arizona), Dayton, and CREOL. They are a bit biased towards these schools, so I'm trying to find an outside source but am having some difficulties knowing where to look for good info. Any suggestions of good schools would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for your help!

Science news on Phys.org
brchuz said:
Hello everyone,
I'm entering my senior year of undergrad this fall so its about that time to find a grad school. My majors are physics (emphasizing in optics) and mathematics. I've done research for 2 years mainly in spectroscopy. I'm interested in finding a grad school for a PhD in Optics. My advisors push for Institute of Optics (Rochester), Optical Sciences Center (Arizona), Dayton, and CREOL. They are a bit biased towards these schools, so I'm trying to find an outside source but am having some difficulties knowing where to look for good info. Any suggestions of good schools would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for your help!

You had very good advise so far. Without a doubt, U. of Rochester is one of, if not the best school for optics. Having Eastman-Kodak in the neighborhood and their research grant is a major factor here. And so is U. of Arizona. I don't know much about Dayton and CREOL. You also may want to look into U. of Iowa and Cornell.

Zz.

Related to Searching for a graduate program in optics

1. What is optics and why is it important?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light, including its interactions with matter and its use in technology. It is important in a wide range of fields, from telecommunications and medicine to astronomy and consumer electronics.

2. What are the top universities for graduate programs in optics?

Some top universities for graduate programs in optics include the University of California, Berkeley, the University of Rochester, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. It is important to research each program's specific offerings and faculty expertise to find the best fit for your interests and goals.

3. What types of careers can I pursue with a graduate degree in optics?

Graduate degrees in optics can lead to careers in research and development, engineering, manufacturing, and consulting. Many industries, such as telecommunications, healthcare, and defense, require professionals with expertise in optics.

4. What skills and qualifications are needed for a successful graduate program in optics?

A strong background in physics and mathematics is essential for success in a graduate program in optics. Experience with lab work, programming, and data analysis is also beneficial. Good communication skills and the ability to work in a team are important for collaborations and presenting research findings.

5. How can I fund my graduate studies in optics?

Many universities offer financial aid and scholarships for graduate students in optics. Additionally, research and teaching assistantships are common sources of funding. You can also look into external funding opportunities, such as government grants and fellowships.