Searching for an Official Database of Solar System Properties

In summary, Tony recommends using the JPL Horizons system to get the most accurate information on the positions and orbits of the solar system's planets. This system is old school, but it is the most accurate data currently available.
Gannet
I been looking at various places for measured orbital mechanics properties of the solar system and found very little coorelation. It made me think that somewhere there exists an official internationally recognized database for measured properties of the solar system with an accuracy that match the current state of technology.

Hopefully, it freely available to the public online.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Gannet said:
I been looking at various places for measured orbital mechanics properties of the solar system and found very little coorelation. It made me think that somewhere there exists an official internationally recognized database for measured properties of the solar system with an accuracy that match the current state of technology.

Hopefully, it freely available to the public online.

What kind of "orbital mechanics properties" are you looking for?

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons.html
gives you lots of info such as position and velocity vectors and orbital elements of most solar system bodies.

tony873004 said:
What kind of "orbital mechanics properties" are you looking for?[

Thanks Tony for replying the Data I am interested in is the following measurements:
  • GM, km3/sec2
  • EQUATORIAL RADIUS, KM
  • SIDEREAL ROTATION PERIOD, HOURS
  • ROTATION TILT ANGLE TO ORBIT, DEG
  • APHELION DISTANCE, KM
  • PERIHELION DISTANCE, KM
  • SEMIMAJOR AXIS, KM
  • REVOLUTION PERIOD, EARTH-YEARS
  • INCLINATION TO ECLIPTIC, DEG
  • ETC

Does an official database exist?

An official database? Not really. Tony gave you a very good reference. Here are a couple more:

http://asa.usno.navy.mil/

http://pds.jpl.nasa.gov/planets/special/planets.htm

Beware, though: You are asking for information that officially does not exist. The planets don't orbit in ellipses.

Last edited by a moderator:

D H said:
...Beware, though: You are asking for information that officially does not exist. The planets don't orbit in ellipses.

Thanks for replying, could you please clarified to this laymen?:confused:

I am assuming you are saying the true orbit are not ellipses, but are used to simplify the math. I would like to learn how the planetary orbital mechanics are actually done.

The answer to your question is the JPL horizons system.

They have a lot of documentation, but last time I checked it was pretty old school.

All the parameters you listed are given there and it is the official and most accurate data in existence AFAIK.

Kepler's laws of planetary motion make a couple of simplifications, mainly that (an artificial) satellite mass is insignificant compared to the body it is orbiting, and that there are no other gravitational bodies affecting the orbit. Other than those two major exceptions, the results would be exact.

Of course the solar system is littered with bodies that affect orbits elsewhere. These effects are called "perturbations".

In a nutshell, what the Horizons system gives you is the parameters of the orbital path and position of all the major and minor bodies at any given time, based on the effects of all the other bodies. The variation you see in the parameters such as semi-major axis and eccentricity is the result of the sum of the effects of these perturbation.

hth, I enjoy this subject, feel free to ask more questions.

Tony and DH those are great sites. Was immersed in them all weekend. Big help

Thanks spacestar for comments. I will probably have questions and will post later on different thread.

Related to Searching for an Official Database of Solar System Properties

1. What is an official database of solar system properties?

An official database of solar system properties is a comprehensive collection of accurate and up-to-date information about the celestial bodies in our solar system. This includes data such as size, mass, distance from the sun, composition, and other important characteristics.

2. Why is it important to have an official database of solar system properties?

Having an official database of solar system properties is important because it provides a reliable and standardized source of information for scientists and researchers. It allows for easier comparison and analysis of data, and helps to advance our understanding of the solar system.

3. Who creates and maintains the official database of solar system properties?

The official database of solar system properties is typically created and maintained by reputable organizations such as space agencies or scientific institutions. These organizations have dedicated teams of experts who collect and analyze data from various sources to ensure accuracy and consistency.

4. What are the sources of data for the official database of solar system properties?

The sources of data for the official database of solar system properties can vary, but they often include data from space missions, telescopes, and other scientific instruments. Data can also be obtained through collaborations with other organizations and institutions.

5. How can I access the official database of solar system properties?

The official database of solar system properties is typically available online through the website of the organization or institution that maintains it. Some databases may require a subscription or registration, while others may be freely accessible to the public.