Searching for Classical Mechanics book

In summary: Landau and Lifshitz's Mechanics (Addison Wesley, 1990) is a more mathematical text, but the derivations are well done and the explanations are quite good. I like both of these books, but I think I would recommend them to someone who is looking for a more advanced text.
Xian
So everyone here already knows how important understanding classical mechanics is so that brings me to my question; What is a good introductory mechanics book that has nice complete mathematical derivations, good well-written physics explanation, and large breadth in terms of subject matter. In other words, what's the best Classical Mechanics book out there?

Thanks in advance guys = )

Physics news on Phys.org
What level are you looking for? "An Introduction to Mechanics" by Kleppner and Kolenkow is the best introductory book I've seen.

wow I used Kleppner & Kolenkow in freshman physics a long time ago (mid 1970s). It was good then and I guess it still is. The more 'advanced' classical mechanics texts (say Goldstein) quickly gets more mathematical, not too surprising since I think the study of mechanics drove the advancement of a lot of math.

I have to echo the Kleppner and Kolenkow recommendation. Since you never forget your first love, for me this is the mechanics book. I'm a bit on the fence about how suitable this book is for self study, but it's truly excellent as a classroom text.

If you're interested in Lagrangian mechanics too, David Morin's Introduction to Classical Mechanics with problems and solutions covers this topic very well, still at an introductory level. A key strength of this book is a nearly unlimited supply of solved mechanics problems.

Having said that, every physics student's library should also include the Feynman Lectures, and the Landau and Lifgarbagez Mechanics book.

Is there a solutions manual to kleppner and kolenkow book?

orthovector said:
Is there a solutions manual to kleppner and kolenkow book?

Yes. Many. Unfortunately, every one of us writes our own. :smile:

Be especially wary of the one with the trash can suspended by a column of water. The problem statement confuses kilograms and Newtons.

David Morin's "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" (Cambridge, 2004) is chock full of excellect derivations and many many problems with solutions.

Related to Searching for Classical Mechanics book

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects, such as particles, bodies, and systems, under the influence of forces. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation formulated by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. Why is classical mechanics important?

Classical mechanics is important because it provides a fundamental framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems. It is the basis for many other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

3. What are some examples of classical mechanics in everyday life?

Some examples of classical mechanics in everyday life include the motion of a ball being thrown, the swinging of a pendulum, and the movement of planets around the sun. It also explains the mechanics of common objects, such as cars, bicycles, and machines.

4. What are some common topics covered in a classical mechanics book?

A classical mechanics book typically covers topics such as kinematics, dynamics, energy, momentum, rotational motion, and gravitation. It may also include discussions on oscillations, fluid mechanics, and special relativity.

5. What are some recommended books for learning classical mechanics?

Some recommended books for learning classical mechanics include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, and "Classical Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky. It is also helpful to consult textbooks used in university physics courses.