Searching for Extra Dimensions: Experiments & Results

In summary, although there have been no definitive detections to date, some people are still looking for evidence of extra dimensions.
serali
I heard from a professor at my deparmant that there are some "simple" experiments in searching for extra dimensions. after a research, the only thing that I've found is this:

http://www.stanford.edu/group/kgb/Research/gravity.html

after checking the experimental procedure, now, i am almost sure that he was just teasing me... are there really such experiments that you can conduct at an average physics dept. laboratory?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think there really are people who are trying to do this, and the link you provide shows that some of them are trying to apply a kind of nanotechnology to the problem. But the research is prospective...that is, they are trying to find an effect, but if they do not find one, it does not mean that the idea is dead. There may just be an effect present at very slightly smaller distances, and they would not know. So if they find something, great, but if not, it does not prove it isn't there. 'Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense', someone said.

If I had access to an ordinary university physics lab, I would like to try to test for extra dimensions by checking the inverse square law at small distances by opposing gravity (a constant, presumably) against electromagnetism (a variable of considerable sensitivity). One might suspend a small mass at known variable distance from an EM field generator (electromagnet) and vary the em field until the force of gravity just overcomes the em force.

My attempts to do this at home have been laughably crude, but I should think some student with modern technology could at least verify the inverse square law to distances such as are suggested in your link.

It would be good to keep in contact with you if you are in a position to try this. Maybe I could provide some suggestive assistance. Best luck to you.

R.

Hi there,

indeed, there are several people doing the sub-mm measurements, also in
Stanford. See eg.

"[URL[/URL] Gravity on Small Length Scales
S. J. Smullin, A. A. Geraci, D. M. Weld, J. Chiaverini, A. Kapitulnik[/URL]

here are some results:

[PLAIN]"[URL[/URL] Experimental Constraints on Non-Newtonian Forces below 100 microns
J. Chiaverini, S. J. Smullin, A. A. Geraci, D. M. Weld, A. Kapitulnik[/URL]

There are some other groups around the world doing similar stuff. Some interesting links

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v421/n6926/full/nature01432.html;jsessionid=255285170F663EBFCF713CE130302BC8"

[URL]http://www.phys.lsu.edu/mog/mog22/node9.html"[/URL]

[PLAIN]"[URL[/URL] of the inverse square law of gravitation.
Contact C. Speake[/URL]

B.

Last edited by a moderator:
See also:

Submillimeter tests of the gravitational inverse-square law, by Hoyle et al., Physical Review D, vol. 70, Issue 4, id. 042004 (2004).

Best wishes,
Christine

Interesting, can they actualy detect or measure the presence of extra dimensions? That would make things a lot cooler.

Universe_Man said:
Interesting, can they actualy detect or measure the presence of extra dimensions? That would make things a lot cooler.

Others better informed than I can correct me on this, but my impression is that so far, results are negative for this particular manifestation of higher dimensions. Work is continuting though.

Related to Searching for Extra Dimensions: Experiments & Results

What is the purpose of searching for extra dimensions?

The search for extra dimensions is driven by the desire to understand the fundamental nature of our universe. It is believed that the existence of extra dimensions could provide a more complete and elegant explanation for some of the mysteries of physics, such as the unification of gravity with the other fundamental forces.

How do scientists search for extra dimensions?

Scientists use a variety of experimental methods to search for extra dimensions, including particle colliders, precision measurements of particle interactions, and astrophysical observations. These experiments look for signatures such as deviations from the predicted behavior of particles or the presence of heavy particles that could indicate the existence of extra dimensions.

What have been the results of experiments searching for extra dimensions?

So far, no definitive evidence for the existence of extra dimensions has been found. However, some experiments have placed limits on the size and number of possible extra dimensions, ruling out certain theoretical models. Other experiments have observed anomalies that could potentially be explained by the existence of extra dimensions, but further research is needed to confirm these findings.

What are the potential implications of discovering extra dimensions?

If extra dimensions are discovered, it would revolutionize our understanding of the universe and could lead to breakthroughs in fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and quantum mechanics. It could also have practical applications, such as the development of new technologies and energy sources.

What is the current status of research on extra dimensions?

The search for extra dimensions is an active area of research, with scientists continuing to develop new experiments and refine existing ones. The Large Hadron Collider at CERN, which is currently the most powerful particle accelerator in the world, is expected to provide valuable insights into the existence of extra dimensions. However, the topic remains a subject of debate and further research is needed to fully understand the nature of extra dimensions, if they do exist.