Searching for LHC News - Has Higgs Been Found?

In summary, the LHC has been running at 7 TeV for 6 months and there has been no significant news or discoveries. Some scientists believe the Higgs will not be found, while others argue that the LHC was designed to find it. The LHC has also been producing unexpected results, but there is not enough time to fully analyze and publish them. There are also ongoing debates about the energy requirements for finding the Higgs and the existence of background events that mimic its production and decay. Overall, it is still too early to expect any major breakthroughs from the LHC, but it is running better than expected and more time and work are needed to make any
Tanelorn
Is there any LHC News

Well the LHC has been running at 7TeV for 6 months now and everything seems very quite, is it still too early to hear of discoveries?

I have searched the LHC site and the web but there nothing out there. I presume that Higgs has not been found?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Most scientists agree the Higgs won't be found. Even the LHC according to Susskind does not have the energy requirements to find it.

QuantumClue said:
Most scientists agree the Higgs won't be found.
I wish I personally knew you to have a bet about that. The LHC was designed to find the Higgs. If the Higgs has not been found by the end of the LHC era, it will be very hard to believe it could even be useful elsewhere. Whether there is only one Higgs, or whether the Higgs is fundamental, are different questions. But one thing is for certain (unless quantum mechanics, that is unitarity, fails) : within the LHC reach, electroweak symmetry breaks and something must break it.

Otherwise, there is already quite a bit coming out of LHC. They even have conferences about it. Some is unexpected too. I do not have time to make a decent post about that.

humanino said:
I wish I personally knew you to have a bet about that. The LHC was designed to find the Higgs. If the Higgs has not been found by the end of the LHC era, it will be very hard to believe it could even be useful elsewhere. Whether there is only one Higgs, or whether the Higgs is fundamental, are different questions. But one thing is for certain (unless quantum mechanics, that is unitarity, fails) : within the LHC reach, electroweak symmetry breaks and something must break it.

Otherwise, there is already quite a bit coming out of LHC. They even have conferences about it. Some is unexpected too. I do not have time to make a decent post about that.

Susskind does not believe the energy requirements are correct for the Higgs at the LHC... Stephen Hawking has also commented he does not believe that a higgs will be found. And when Hawking talks, it is from what I believe, the general scientific community listens...

humanino said:
But one thing is for certain (unless quantum mechanics, that is unitarity, fails) : within the LHC reach, electroweak symmetry breaks and something must break it.
Regarding that, are there any released results on WW scattering? Do they see it "bending" to preserve unitarity and does this provide more precise info on where the Higgs mass should be?

When I try searching for LHC and WW scattering, all that seems to come up is papers and talks about expectations before the LHC even started running. So I can't tell if there is no experimental data on this yet, or if I'm just doing a horrible job at searching.

Afaik there are well-known restrictions for the SM Higgs mass range and the LHC covers the allowed region. So if the Higgs is a SM Higgs it will be found by the LHC; if no Higgs is found then it's either a non-SM Higgs or something totally different, but at least 'something'.

JustinLevy said:
Regarding that, are there any released results on WW scattering? Do they see it "bending" to preserve unitarity and does this provide more precise info on where the Higgs mass should be?
I have not found preliminary results about that either.

First, the LHC has only collected about 0.05% of its design luminosity, and that at half of the design energy. It's a little early to be wondering why the physics program isn't finished and all the papers written.

As far as "most scientists agree the Higgs won't be found", that's just nonsense. If that were the case, they wouldn't have built the LHC.

I did find this link on the LHC very initial results:

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/indepth/44805

Was a bit harsh on the more exotic theories.

Some one produced a paper that says some type of micro Black Holes can be produced at 3.5TeV:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1012.3375

Do you think they would tell us if they had a problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess something like this would be hard to miss:

LHC__Aftermath_by_darth_biomech.jpg

Tanelorn said:
I guess something like this would be hard to miss
Nice image. I enjoy science-fiction too. Usually, it is about the future however. I guess this image qualifies as history-fiction.

14 tev and no cupcake or Higgs bozo seen. Makes you think electro-weak symmetry splitting is symmetrical bs more than real science.

If you're going to express an opinion, it helps for it to be an informed one. The LHC hasn't run at 14 TeV at all.

There is not so much exciting news from the LHC yet for a simple reason, it has not been operating long enough yet. The discovery of new particles, such as the Higgs boson, is based on statistics, and in order to get enough statistics a longer time of run and a higher luminosity is needed. This is the case, to a large degree because of the excistance of background, i.e. events that mimic the production and decay of a Higgs but which are not. Therefore, in order to "find the higgs" enough statistics is needed to give the signal a chance to overcome the background.
So far, the LHC has REdiscovered the particles of the standard model such as the W and Z bosons but for a potential higgs we will have to wait a bit longer.

So let's not be impatient, after all, the machine is finally running and in many ways operating better than expected.

Cheers

The 14 TEV is the hypothetical potential and whether or not they have reached it is speculation. The theory is still weak and based upon a mathematician's guess ...

rkirby7 said:
The 14 TEV is the hypothetical potential and whether or not they have reached it is speculation.
No, this is obviously wrong. They know the energy in the machine. There is no speculation when we say that it is a fact they have not reached it yet. Logically, it is speculation that they WILL reach 14 TeV (by the way, it's TeV, not TEV). However, there is no serious doubt that they will indeed reach 14 TeV.

rkirby7 said:
The theory is still weak and based upon a mathematician's guess...
I think you may want to learn a little bit before challenging senior members of this board. The electroweak model predicts a failure of unitarity within the LHC reach. There is no logical escape to the statement that LHC will discover something important there. I list the broad logical possibilities below for your consideration
(1) electroweak symmetry restoration does not occur within the LHC reach, and vector boson scattering violates unitarity. This is both the biggest news and by far the least likely possibility. Nobody believes this will happen. Elementary quantum mechanics would be falsified.
(2) the symmetry restoration does occur
(2.1) it is achieved through a simple, single Higgs boson as in the old and first version of the standard model of particle physics. LHC discovers the Higgs, but we have no idea what is next. This is the worse possible scenario for particle physics. If you have paid attention, the Higgs is discovered in this scenario
(2.2) there is more than just the simple Higgs. In this case, we say that the Higgs mechanism is achieved by something else or something more that just the Higgs boson. In my understanding, this very broad scenario is the most likely. Depending exactly what we find, different things should happen next.

QuantumClue said:
Susskind does not believe the energy requirements are correct for the Higgs at the LHC... Stephen Hawking has also commented he does not believe that a higgs will be found. And when Hawking talks, it is from what I believe, the general scientific community listens...

When Hawking talks a lot of researcher immediately look if any release dates for one of his books is coming closer. Hawking is not even close to being one of the most influential physicists of the 20th century. Not even of the second half of that century. Recent years I've only read about him when he made extraordinary claims and that was when he was releasing a series of documentaries or books...

humanino said:
(2.1) it is achieved through a simple, single Higgs boson as in the old and first version of the standard model of particle physics. LHC discovers the Higgs, but we have no idea what is next. This is the worse possible scenario for particle physics. If you have paid attention, the Higgs is discovered in this scenario

I would split this into two cases:

(2.1a) LHC discovers the Higgs and nothing else new. This is the worst possible scenario for particle physics.
(2.1b) LHC discovers the Higgs and also discovers other new physics unrelated to the mechanism of electroweak symmetry breaking. This is not a terribly problematic scenario for particle physics.

Parlyne said:
I would split this into two cases:

(2.1a) LHC discovers the Higgs and nothing else new. This is the worst possible scenario for particle physics.
(2.1b) LHC discovers the Higgs and also discovers other new physics unrelated to the mechanism of electroweak symmetry breaking. This is not a terribly problematic scenario for particle physics.

What is most important is to get some hint, some inkling of an idea about what resolves the hierarchy problem.

It is not a pretty universe if the hierarchy problem gets promoted to the hierarchy fact and will say some rather unpleasant thing about our ability to predict future physics!

tom.stoer said:
Afaik there are well-known restrictions for the SM Higgs mass range and the LHC covers the allowed region. So if the Higgs is a SM Higgs it will be found by the LHC; if no Higgs is found then it's either a non-SM Higgs or something totally different, but at least 'something'.

They have now posted new limits
Search for supersymmetry using final states with one lepton, jets, and missing transverse m0mentum with the ATLAS detector in sqrt{s} = 7 TeV pp
Search for Supersymmetry in pp Collisions at 7 TeV in Events with Jets and Missing Transverse Energy

Related to Searching for LHC News - Has Higgs Been Found?

What is the LHC and why is it important?

The LHC, or Large Hadron Collider, is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator. It is located at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Switzerland and is used to study the fundamental building blocks of the universe. Its importance lies in its ability to recreate the conditions of the early universe and potentially discover new particles or further our understanding of existing ones.

What is the Higgs boson and why is it significant?

The Higgs boson is a theoretical particle that is thought to give other particles mass. Its existence was proposed in the 1960s but was only confirmed in 2012 by experiments at the LHC. Its significance lies in the fact that its discovery provides evidence for the Higgs mechanism, which is a crucial part of the Standard Model of particle physics.

Has the Higgs boson been found at the LHC?

Yes, the Higgs boson was discovered at the LHC in 2012 by the ATLAS and CMS experiments. The discovery was announced on July 4th, 2012 by both experiments and was later confirmed by further analysis of the data. This was a major milestone in particle physics and has opened up new avenues for research.

How does the LHC search for the Higgs boson?

The LHC accelerates beams of protons to nearly the speed of light and then collides them. The energy released in these collisions can create new particles, including the Higgs boson. The ATLAS and CMS experiments then use detectors to measure the properties of these particles and search for any evidence of the Higgs boson. Advanced data analysis techniques are also used to narrow down the search and confirm any potential discoveries.

What are the potential implications of finding the Higgs boson at the LHC?

Finding the Higgs boson at the LHC has several potential implications. Firstly, it confirms the existence of the Higgs mechanism and provides evidence for the Standard Model of particle physics. It also helps to explain how particles acquire mass and could potentially lead to a better understanding of the fundamental forces in the universe. Additionally, the LHC and its experiments continue to push the boundaries of our understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in science and technology.