Searching Neutralino Decay in the Sun w/ Amanda

In summary, the conversation is about a presentation on the indirect search for the neutralino from the sun at the AMANDA detector. Neutralinos are gravitationally captured in the sun and decay to produce neutrinos, which are detected by the AMANDA detector through muon production. The conversation also discusses the meaning of live time and number of events in the detection process, as well as the purpose of simulations in obtaining theoretical results and decreasing background noise.
sam_021
Hi
so I am doing a presenation, on the indirect search for the neutralino from the sun at amanda
In short:
neutralinos are graviationally captured and settle int he sun.. they decay to produce neutrinos.. we detect the neutrinos at the amanda detector through muon productionSo what I am confused about is basically the following:
1) in the detection if u look at papers like the following slide show -page 8
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...zFvLRG&sig=AHIEtbS-vyEGTsEvTGs7SRevo8kNyg1rTQ
it goes on about events and live time.. so am i right in saying the live time is how long detector is running and the number of events is the number of muon productions (as in any muon be it from the neutralino or cosmic rays) .. I don't think I am right but I am not sure ?

2) on the same page as above ..it talks about simulations, so these different simulations are to obtain theoretical results, decrease background and etc right ?

Physics news on Phys.org

yes :D live tiime is the time the detctor is on till :D

Related to Searching Neutralino Decay in the Sun w/ Amanda

1. What is Neutralino Decay and why is it important to search for it in the Sun?

Neutralino Decay is a hypothetical process in which a neutralino particle, a candidate for dark matter, decays into other particles. It is important to search for it in the Sun because if dark matter is composed of neutralinos, we would expect to see an excess of neutrinos coming from the Sun due to neutralino decay.

2. What is the role of Amanda in the search for Neutralino Decay in the Sun?

Amanda (Antarctic Muon And Neutrino Detector Array) is a neutrino telescope located in the ice at the South Pole. It is designed to detect high-energy neutrinos from astrophysical sources, including those that may be produced by Neutralino Decay in the Sun. Amanda provides a unique opportunity to search for this rare process deep in the Antarctic ice.

3. How does Amanda detect neutrinos from Neutralino Decay in the Sun?

Amanda uses an array of photomultiplier tubes buried deep in the Antarctic ice to detect the faint flashes of light produced when a neutrino interacts with the ice. By analyzing the direction and energy of these detected neutrinos, we can search for patterns that would indicate the presence of Neutralino Decay in the Sun.

4. What have been the results so far in the search for Neutralino Decay in the Sun with Amanda?

As of now, there have been no confirmed detections of neutrinos from Neutralino Decay in the Sun with Amanda. However, the data collected by Amanda has helped to set limits on the potential rate of this process and to rule out certain models of dark matter. The search is ongoing and further analysis of data may provide more insights in the future.

5. What are the implications of finding evidence of Neutralino Decay in the Sun with Amanda?

Finding evidence of Neutralino Decay in the Sun with Amanda would be a groundbreaking discovery. It would confirm the existence of neutralinos as dark matter particles and provide valuable information about their properties. This would also have implications for our understanding of the composition and evolution of the universe.

Back