Second Degree Equations, xy nonzero, rotation of axes question

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of rotation of axes equations to solve for the variable alpha in the equation x^{2}-4xy+y^{2} - 1= 0. The conversation also mentions using the trigonometric relationship cot(2\alpha) = \frac {A-C}{B} to solve for alpha, but the attempt at finding alpha using inverse tangent leads to an undefined value. Instead, using the cotangent equation and setting it equal to 0, the value of alpha is found to be \frac{\pi}{4}.
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

[tex] x^{2}-4xy+y^{2} - 1= 0 [/tex]

Homework Equations

Rotation of axes equations:

[tex] x = X cos(\alpha)-Ysin(\alpha) [/tex]

[tex] y = Xsin(\alpha) + Ycos(\alpha) [/tex]

Alpha is given in the text as:

[tex] cot(2\alpha) = \frac {A-C}{B} [/tex]

but I used the fact that:

[tex] cot(\alpha) = \frac {1}{tan(\alpha)} [/tex]

to solve for alpha like so:

[tex] \alpha = \frac {tan^{-1}(\frac{B}{A-C})}{2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so i try to find alpha first like:

[tex] \alpha = \frac {tan^{-1}(-\frac{4}{1-1})} {2} [/tex]

which means that it is really just:

[tex] \alpha = \frac {tan^{-1}(0)} {2} [/tex]

and the inverse tangent of 0 is 0 degrees, the only problem is that I am looking for 45 degrees, where did I go wrong? Is there something wrong with me using the trig relationship to solve for alpha?

thanks!

EDIT____________________________________

I just used the same alpha equation with an inverse tangent on the equation:

[tex] x^{2}+2\sqrt{3}xy-y^{2}-7=0 [/tex]

and got alpha at 30 degrees and a simplified equation of:

[tex] 2x^{2}-2y^{2}-7=0 [/tex]

which all passes discrimination tests so what exactly is wrong with the first problem? of course this only worked because A-C was nonzero...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Asphyxiated said:
ok so i try to find alpha first like:

[tex] \alpha = \frac {tan^{-1}(-\frac{4}{1-1})} {2} [/tex]

which means that it is really just:

[tex] \alpha = \frac {tan^{-1}(0)} {2} [/tex]
It's not inverse tangent of 0. It's inverse tangent of -4/0. -4/0 is undefined.

I probably would have just worked with the cotangent equation:
[tex]\begin{aligned}
cot(2\alpha) &= \frac {A-C}{B} \\
&= \frac{1 - 1}{-4} \\
&= 0
\end{aligned}[/tex]

If 0 < α < π/2, then 0 < 2α < π, and the only place between 0 and π where the cotangent equals 0 is at π/2. So
[tex]\begin{aligned}
2\alpha &= \frac {\pi}{2} \\
\alpha &= \frac{\pi}{4}
\end{aligned}[/tex]
... which is the angle you wanted.69

FAQ: Second Degree Equations, xy nonzero, rotation of axes question

1. What is a second degree equation?

A second degree equation, also known as a quadratic equation, is a polynomial equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0 where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. What does xy nonzero mean in the context of second degree equations?

In second degree equations, xy nonzero means that the equation contains both x and y terms, and the product of their coefficients is not equal to zero. This indicates that the equation is not a linear equation and will have a curved graph.

3. How do you solve a second degree equation with xy nonzero?

To solve a second degree equation with xy nonzero, you can use the quadratic formula or factor the equation into two linear factors. If the equation is in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. If the equation is in the form ax^2 + bx + c = (mx + n)(px + q), you can set each factor equal to zero and solve for x.

4. What is rotation of axes in the context of second degree equations?

Rotation of axes, also known as changing the orientation of axes, is a technique used to simplify the graphing of a second degree equation with xy nonzero. By rotating the axes, the equation can be transformed into a standard form where the x and y terms are separated, making it easier to graph.

5. How do you rotate axes in a second degree equation with xy nonzero?

To rotate axes in a second degree equation with xy nonzero, you can use the formula x = x'cosθ - y'sinθ and y = y'cosθ + x'sinθ, where θ is the angle of rotation. This will transform the equation into a standard form where the x and y terms are separated. You can then graph the equation using the new axes.

Back