Second Derivative Test (trig problem)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inflection points of the function f(x)=sec(x)+tan(x) through taking the first and second derivatives. The second derivative is simplified using the formula (sec(x)(tan^2(x)+2sec(x)tan(x)+sec^2(x))), and the top half reveals a zero value. The conversation also mentions determining the domain and sign of the first derivative, as well as graphing the function to find the maximum and minimum points.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

I am doing the various ins and outs of curve sketching and the mean value theorem and all that jazz with this function:
[tex]f(x)=sec(x)+tan(x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the first derivative to be:
[tex]f'(x)=sec(x)tan(x)+sec^{2}(x)[/tex]

I am having trouble finding the inflection points with the second derivative.
I took the second derivative to be:
[tex](sec(x)tan(x))tan(x)+sec(x)(sec^{2}(x))+2sec(x)(sec(x)tan(x))[/tex]
I simplified to: (left out the x's for brevity)
[tex]sectan^{2}+sec^{3}+2sec^{2}tan[/tex]
[tex]sec(sec^{2}-1)+sec^{3}+2sec^{2}tan[/tex]
[tex]sec^{3}-sec+sec^{3}+2sec^{2}tan[/tex]
[tex]2sec^{3}-sec+2sec^{2}tan=0[/tex]

Trying to solve this set to zero for the second derivative test and I have no idea how to go about it without using a calculator so far. I have not been able to simplify it into something that I can solve?

I was thinking that maybe I could square both sides (including the zero) and then use the pythag identity to convert that last tangent into a secant, and then maybe I would have a polynomial that I could use PQ test to solve or something (but idk if that is ok to do, seems reasonable to me). Any pointers?

Physics news on Phys.org
QuarkCharmer said:

Homework Statement

I am doing the various ins and outs of curve sketching and the mean value theorem and all that jazz with this function:
[tex]f(x)=sec(x)+tan(x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the first derivative to be:
[tex]f'(x)=sec(x)tan(x)+sec^{2}(x)[/tex]

I am having trouble finding the inflection points with the second derivative.
I took the second derivative to be:
[tex](sec(x)tan(x))tan(x)+sec(x)(sec^{2}(x))+2sec(x)(sec(x)tan(x))[/tex]

Hi QuarkCharmer! :smile:

Your first and second derivative are correct. Note however, that we can write your second derivative in a nicer form:

[tex]sec(x)(tan^2(x)+2sec(x)tan(x)+sec^2(x))[/tex]

Now, isn't this a nice form?? No? Don't you recognize a nice formula now??

Instead of simplifying the second derivative the way you did, try another way. Put it into terms of sin and cos right away. Then you have three fractions whose denominators are all the same. Put them together, and the top half easily reveals a zero value.

Okay, I think I get what you are saying.

From here, I did this:
[tex]sectan^{2}+sec^{3}+2sec^{2}tan[/tex]
[tex]\frac{sin^{2}+2sin+1}{cos^{3}}[/tex]
Now, I see that the top results in 3pi/2 +/- 2kpi, but I am confused as to whether I should concern myself with solving for when the denominator (cos^3) is equal to zero to find the undefined points?

QuarkCharmer said:
but I am confused as to whether I should concern myself with solving for when the denominator (cos^3) is equal to zero to find the undefined points?
Usually, that's a good idea. The concavity certainly can be different on either side of the locations at which the second derivative is undefined.

For this function, f(x), you will also want to determine such things as the domain & sign(s) of the first derivative, etc.

Okay, I have everything worked out but I am having trouble determining the Absolute/Local Max and Mins. The function sec + tan is restricted to the domain where 0>x>pi/2, and it is undefined at pi/2, either way, that is not part of the range as the domain restriction is not greater than or equal to. So uh, how would I figure out the max/mins? I get that the max is infinity, but the min has me stumped.
I'm thinking the max/min does not exist?

It looks like this:
2kir9h.jpg

Last edited:
QuarkCharmer said:
Okay, I have everything worked out but I am having trouble determining the Absolute/Local Max and Mins. The function sec + tan is restricted to the domain where 0>x>pi/2,
No, it's not restricted to the interval (0, π/2).
and it is undefined at pi/2, either way, that is not part of the range as the domain restriction is not greater than or equal to. So uh, how would I figure out the max/mins? I get that the max is infinity, but the min has me stumped.
I'm thinking the max/min does not exist?

It looks like this:
2kir9h.jpg
You should probably graph at least one period of this function. Yes, it's periodic.

Yes, it's undefined at π/2, but also at many other places.

What are the domains of sec(x) & tan(x) ?

I mean the problem states that it is restricted on that interval. I understand how the full function should look. So it looks like the Max/Min is undefined for that interval right?

Right, as long as x ≠ 0.

Thanks!

Related to Second Derivative Test (trig problem)

What is the Second Derivative Test?

The Second Derivative Test is a mathematical method used to determine the nature of a critical point on a graph, whether it is a maximum, minimum, or neither. It involves finding the second derivative of a function and analyzing its value at the critical point.

How is the Second Derivative Test used in trigonometry problems?

In trigonometry problems, the Second Derivative Test is used to determine the nature of critical points on a graph of a trigonometric function. This can help in finding maximum or minimum values of a function, as well as points of inflection.

What is the difference between a first derivative and a second derivative?

The first derivative of a function represents its rate of change at a given point, while the second derivative represents the rate of change of the first derivative. Essentially, the second derivative measures the curvature of the graph at a particular point.

What does a positive or negative second derivative indicate?

A positive second derivative at a critical point indicates that the graph is concave up, meaning it has a minimum at that point. A negative second derivative indicates that the graph is concave down, meaning it has a maximum at that point.

How do you use the Second Derivative Test to determine the nature of a critical point?

To use the Second Derivative Test, you first find the critical points of a function by setting the first derivative equal to zero. Then, you take the second derivative and plug in the critical points. If the second derivative is positive, the critical point is a minimum. If the second derivative is negative, the critical point is a maximum. If the second derivative is zero, the test is inconclusive and you may need to use other methods to determine the nature of the critical point.