Second order DE involving repeat roots

In summary, when solving a 2nd order differential equation with repeat roots, such as y" + 4y = cos2x, we can try various solutions such as (Ax+B)cos2x + (Cx+D)sin2x, Axsin(2x) + Bxcos(2x), or (Ax^2 + Bx)cos2x. If these do not work, we can substitute y = Re(Z) and solve for z" + 4z = ei2x. It is necessary to equate like terms on both sides and assume values of 0 for convenience in order to make the equations work.
quietrain
ok, for 2nd order differential equations, if we have repeat roots, like for example y" +4y = cos2x

, we would have repeat roots +2i,-2i.

so how do we try for the particular solution?

i tried Acos2x + Bsin2x, it all canceled out.
i tried (Ax+B)cos2x + (Cx+D)sin2x it all canceled out too

then i tried just (Ax2+Bx)cos2x, but apparently that is wrong.

apparently we have to substitute y = Re(Z), and let z" +4z = ei2x to solve

so my question is,

1)how do we know when we have to substitute, and when we can try AcosX +BsinX, also, for repeat roots, is the only way to solve is to let it be the real part of some substituted equation?

2)when the RHS is only cos 2x, do we have to try Acos2x +Bsin2x, or is Acos2x suffice? why?

help appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Axsin(2x) + Bxcos(2x). It will work.

And your effort with (Ax+B)cos2x + (Cx+D)sin2x should have worked too.

oh isee. i just have to assume my B and D take on the values of 0? for convenience?

thanks!

quietrain said:
oh isee. i just have to assume my B and D take on the values of 0? for convenience?

thanks!

It isn't a matter of convenience. If you equate like terms on both sides after you substitute into the equation, those values must be 0 to make it work. In other words, if you don't have an x cosx on the right side you can't have one on the left, etc.

oh i see ha.. ok thanks a lot!

Related to Second order DE involving repeat roots

1) What is a second order differential equation involving repeat roots?

A second order differential equation involving repeat roots is a differential equation in which the characteristic equation has a repeated root, resulting in two identical solutions.

2) How do you solve a second order differential equation involving repeat roots?

To solve a second order differential equation involving repeat roots, you need to use the repeated root method. This involves finding the general solution using one of the roots and then using the differentiation and substitution method to find the second linearly independent solution.

3) What is the significance of repeat roots in differential equations?

Repeat roots in differential equations indicate that the solution to the equation will have a repeated term, which can have a significant impact on the behavior of the system being modeled. It can result in oscillatory or unstable behavior.

4) Can a second order differential equation have more than one set of repeat roots?

Yes, a second order differential equation can have multiple sets of repeat roots. This occurs when the characteristic equation has multiple repeated roots, resulting in multiple solutions with the same form.

5) How do you know if a second order differential equation has repeat roots?

You can determine if a second order differential equation has repeat roots by solving the characteristic equation. If the equation has a repeated root, then the solution will have two identical terms, indicating repeat roots.