Second order differential eq problem (from a calc2 class)

In summary, the student attempted to find a solution to the differential equation y''+16y=9xe^(4x), but was not able to get an answer that satisfied the equation. After trying a particular solution and getting that incorrect, the student figured out the correct particular solution using the same method.
icosane

Homework Statement

y''+16y=9xe^(4x)

y(0)=0
y'(0)=0

find the solution, y(x) to the differential equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the particular solution to the right side of the equation, which is correct,

yp= .28125x-.0703125e^(4x)

For the left hand side of the equation I ended up with +- 4i, so using 4 as the beta value plugged it into,

y=Acos(4x)+Bsin(4x)

But plugging back into y''+16y I found it was the complementary equation... but does it even matter because there are no sines or cosines on the right hand side of the equation? I tried writing out the solution as

y = Acos(4x)+Bsin(4x) + .28125x-.0703125e^(4x)

Then solving it like an initial value problem but the computer won't take my answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is an initial value problem. Show us your steps,also show us how you got yp. Why is it in decimal form?

icosane said:

Homework Statement

y''+16y=9xe^(4x)

y(0)=0
y'(0)=0

find the solution, y(x) to the differential equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the particular solution to the right side of the equation, which is correct,

yp= .28125x-.0703125e^(4x)
This does NOT satisfy the differential equation! Without even doing any calculations I can see that the second derivative is a constant times e^(4x) so even after adding 16y you can NOT get "xe^(4x)". Try a particular solution of the form (Cx+ D)e^(4x).

For the left hand side of the equation I ended up with +- 4i, so using 4 as the beta value plugged it into,

y=Acos(4x)+Bsin(4x)

But plugging back into y''+16y I found it was the complementary equation... but does it even matter because there are no sines or cosines on the right hand side of the equation? I tried writing out the solution as

y = Acos(4x)+Bsin(4x) + .28125x-.0703125e^(4x)

Then solving it like an initial value problem but the computer won't take my answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Your general solution for the equation is correct. The particular solution is not. Try again with my suggestion. If you cannot get the correct answer, come back and please show your work.

This is homework for my calc 2 class, which is evaluated by typing in my answers on a website. Once I type in an answer and get it correct it clears my answer and gives the "correct" answer in decimal form. So that is why it is in decimal form.

HallsofIvy said:
This does NOT satisfy the differential equation! Without even doing any calculations I can see that the second derivative is a constant times e^(4x) so even after adding 16y you can NOT get "xe^(4x)". Try a particular solution of the form (Cx+ D)e^(4x).

After figuring out the particular solution and getting it correct I then recopied it off the computer screen on the next page, but copied it wrong.

yp(x)= (0.28125*x+(-0.0703125))*exp(4*x)

Is the correct particular solution. I got it right, then re-copied it in decimal form wrong :eek:. Turns out that's all I did wrong and I got the correct answer. Thanks for pointing that out, Ivy.

FAQ: Second order differential eq problem (from a calc2 class)

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function, its derivatives, and independent variables. It represents the relationship between a function and its second derivative.

2. How do you solve a second order differential equation?

To solve a second order differential equation, you need to follow a specific set of steps. First, you need to identify the type of differential equation (linear or non-linear). Then, you need to use the appropriate method (such as separation of variables or substitution) to reduce the equation to a first order differential equation. Finally, you can use various techniques (such as Euler's method or Laplace transforms) to solve the first order equation and obtain a general solution.

3. What is the difference between a first order and second order differential equation?

The main difference between a first order and second order differential equation is the number of derivatives present in the equation. A first order equation only involves the first derivative of the function, while a second order equation involves the second derivative as well. This means that a second order equation has a higher degree of complexity and may require more advanced techniques to solve.

4. Why are second order differential equations important?

Second order differential equations are important because they have many applications in physics and engineering. They are used to model real-life phenomena such as motion, oscillations, and electrical circuits. By solving these equations, we can gain a better understanding of the behavior of these systems and make predictions about their future behavior.

5. Can you give an example of a second order differential equation?

One example of a second order differential equation is the simple harmonic oscillator equation, which describes the motion of a mass attached to a spring. It can be written as m*d^2x/dt^2 + kx = 0, where m is the mass, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the mass, and t is time. This equation can be solved to determine the position and velocity of the mass at any given time.

Back