Second order differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution of the differential equation d2y/dx2 - 2 dy/dx - 3y = x. The first step is to find the complementary function, which is found by solving for the roots of the characteristic equation. The complementary function is given as y = Ae^(3x) + Be^(-x). The next step is to find the particular integral, which in this case is a polynomial of the form Ax^2+ Bx+ C. The values of A, B, and C can be determined by substituting into the original equation. Finally, the general solution is the sum of the complementary function and the particular integral. To find the solution that satisfies the given
doroulla
hi. I can't figure out this question:

d2y/dx2 - 2 dy/dx - 3y = x

(i) find complementary function
(ii) find particular integral
(iii) using (i) and (ii) find the general solution
(iv) find the solution that satisfies the initial conditions:
y=2/9 at x=0 and dy/dx=-13/3 at x=0

i did:

m^2 - 2m - 3 = 0
(m-3)(m+1)=0
real and distinct solutions thus

y = Ae^(3x) + Be^(-x)

thus dy/dx = 3Ae^3x - Be^-x

d2y/dx2 = 9Ae^3x + Be^-x

now i have no idea how to continue. As i understood what i found above is the complementary function. I think. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
doroulla said:
y = Ae^(3x) + Be^(-x)

Yes this would be the complementary solution.

What the particular integral for a polynomial?

i think its something to do with the x on the right hand side but i don't know how to do it. Do i integrate that side?

I know when you have a y in the equation you integrate the constants infront of the y. But in this case i don't have this.

Try a specific integral of the form [itex]Ax^2+ Bx+ C[/itex]. What must A, B, and C equal to satisfy the equation? Recall that the general solution to the entire equation is the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation (the "complementary solution") plus a specific integral.

FAQ: Second order differential equation

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function, its first derivative, and its second derivative. It represents a relationship between a function and its rate of change.

2. How do you solve a second order differential equation?

To solve a second order differential equation, you must first determine the type of equation you have (homogeneous, non-homogeneous, or linear) and then use appropriate techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or variation of parameters.

3. What are the applications of second order differential equations?

Second order differential equations are used in various fields of science and engineering to model real-world phenomena such as motion, oscillations, and growth. They are also essential in understanding the behavior of electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and population dynamics.

4. Can a second order differential equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a second order differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution to a second order differential equation contains two arbitrary constants, which can be assigned different values to obtain different solutions.

5. How are second order differential equations related to other types of differential equations?

Second order differential equations are a specific type of differential equation that is one order higher than first order differential equations. They are also connected to other types of differential equations, such as partial differential equations, through the use of techniques like separation of variables.

Back