Second order homogenous problem

In summary, the equation for y is y=c1e^t+c2e^-2t. To find β so that the solution approaches zero as t→∞, you need to solve for β.
bigu01

Homework Statement

Solve the initial value problem y''-y'-2y=0 y(0)=β , y'(0)=2. Then find β so that the solution approaches zero as t→∞

Homework Equations

R^2-R-2=0

C1+C2=β, -C1+2C2=2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the equation got the r- values 1 and -2 , then i solved the two equations to find the constants, my first constant is c1=(2β-2)/3 and my second one is c2=(β+2)/3. Now I've got the equations and I don't know how to continue from here, should I try it from the first derivative (solving for minimum value or anything) or from the y-equation( it never gets to zero)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi bigu01! :smile:

hint: if you want Cekt -> 0 as t -> ∞, with k > 0,

then you need C = … ? :wink:

bigu01 said:

Homework Statement

Solve the initial value problem y''-y'-2y=0 y(0)=β , y'(0)=2. Then find β so that the solution approaches zero as t→∞

Homework Equations

R^2-R-2=0

C1+C2=β, -C1+2C2=2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the equation got the r- values 1 and -2
Well, here's your first problem. r= 1 and r= -2 do NOT satisfy the equation:
[itex](1)^2- 1- 2= -2[/itex], not 0, and [itex](-2)^2- (-2)- 2= 4[/itex], not 0.

, then i solved the two equations to find the constants, my first constant is c1=(2β-2)/3 and my second one is c2=(β+2)/3. Now I've got the equations and I don't know how to continue from here, should I try it from the first derivative (solving for minimum value or anything) or from the y-equation( it never gets to zero)

HallsofIvy said:
Well, here's your first problem. r= 1 and r= -2 do NOT satisfy the equation:
[itex](1)^2- 1- 2= -2[/itex], not 0, and [itex](-2)^2- (-2)- 2= 4[/itex], not 0.

The R-s are inputed to the e^rt not directly in the equation right, so if you input the r=1 and r=-2 ,
y becomes y=c1e^t+c2e^-2t

bigu01 said:
The R-s are inputed to the e^rt not directly in the equation right, so if you input the r=1 and r=-2 ,
y becomes y=c1e^t+c2e^-2t
No.

Your characteristic equation is r2 - r - 2 = 0. The solutions are NOT r = 1 and r = -2. This is what HallsOfIvy is saying.

Try again.

Mark44 said:
No.

Your characteristic equation is r2 - r - 2 = 0. The solutions are NOT r = 1 and r = -2. This is what HallsOfIvy is saying.

Try again.
Oh I see r=-1 and r=2 I solved it like that in my notebook,but when putting here looks like I've mixed them.Sorry.Then I have (β+2)/3*e^2t+(2β+2)*e^-t =y and I have to get y=0 as t->∞

tiny-tim said:
hi bigu01! :smile:

hint: if you want Cekt -> 0 as t -> ∞, with k > 0,

then you need C = … ? :wink:

k=e^-t?

sorry, you're not making any sense :redface:

tiny-tim said:
sorry, you're not making any sense :redface:

β=-2 C should be 0 , β+2=0

bigu01 said:
C should be 0 , β+2=0

that's better! :biggrin:

Related to Second order homogenous problem

1. What is a second order homogenous problem?

A second order homogenous problem is a type of differential equation that involves a second derivative and has a solution that is equal to zero. It is also known as a linear homogenous equation.

2. How is a second order homogenous problem different from a first order homogenous problem?

A second order homogenous problem involves a second derivative, while a first order homogenous problem only involves a first derivative. This makes the second order problem more complex and often requires a different approach to find a solution.

3. What are some applications of second order homogenous problems in science?

Second order homogenous problems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to describe physical systems with variables that change over time. Examples include oscillating systems, heat transfer, and population growth models.

4. What is the general solution of a second order homogenous problem?

The general solution of a second order homogenous problem is a combination of two linearly independent solutions, which can be found using techniques like substitution, variation of parameters, or the method of undetermined coefficients.

5. How can second order homogenous problems be solved numerically?

Second order homogenous problems can be solved numerically using methods like Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, or finite difference methods. These methods involve approximating the solution at discrete points and can be useful for more complex problems that do not have a closed-form solution.