Second order inhomogeneous differential equation

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a differential equations problem and discusses finding the homogeneous and particular solutions. They also mention using the method of undetermined coefficients and a substitution method to solve the equation.
Vishak95
Hi MHB. I'm having yet another doubt regarding differential equations. Can someone please help me out? Thanks.

Consider the following differential equation:

\(\displaystyle {y}''+{y}'= x^{2}\)

I have found the homogeneous solution to be:

\(\displaystyle y_{H}=c_{1} + c_{2}e^{-x}\)

But when finding the particular solution, using reduction of order, I end up getting:

\(\displaystyle y_{P}=\frac{x^{3}}{3} + \frac{cx^{2}}{2} + dx + e\)

By substituting the results for \(\displaystyle {y}''\) and \(\displaystyle {y}'\) back into the original equation, I am able to obtain \(\displaystyle c = -2\) and \(\displaystyle d = 2\). But what do I do about \(\displaystyle e\)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vishak said:
Hi MHB. I'm having yet another doubt regarding differential equations. Can someone please help me out? Thanks.

Consider the following differential equation:

\(\displaystyle {y}''+{y}'= x^{2}\)

I have found the homogeneous solution to be:

\(\displaystyle y_{H}=c_{1} + c_{2}e^{-x}\)

But when finding the particular solution, using reduction of order, I end up getting:

\(\displaystyle y_{P}=\frac{x^{3}}{3} + \frac{cx^{2}}{2} + dx + e\)

By substituting the results for \(\displaystyle {y}''\) and \(\displaystyle {y}'\) back into the original equation, I am able to obtain \(\displaystyle c = -2\) and \(\displaystyle d = 2\). But what do I do about \(\displaystyle e\)?

You are actually using the method of undetermined coefficients, not reduction of order, to find the particular solution. Because the right had side is quadratic, you want to assume the following form for your particular solution:

\(\displaystyle y_p(x)=Ax^2+Bx+C\)

But...since you already have a constant in your homogeneous solution, you need to multiply by a natural number power of $x$ so that no term in your particular solution is a solution to the homogeneous equation, hence you want:

\(\displaystyle y_p(x)=x\left(Ax^2+Bx+C \right)=Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx\)

As an alternate approach to solving this ODE, you could consider the substitution:

\(\displaystyle v=y'\)

and you would obtain a linear first order ODE in $v$.

Related to Second order inhomogeneous differential equation

What is a second order inhomogeneous differential equation?

A second order inhomogeneous differential equation is a type of differential equation that involves a second derivative of an unknown function, along with the function itself and possibly its first derivative. It is called "inhomogeneous" because it includes a non-zero function on the right side of the equation.

What is the general form of a second order inhomogeneous differential equation?

The general form of a second order inhomogeneous differential equation is y'' + P(x)y' + Q(x)y = f(x), where P(x) and Q(x) are functions of x and f(x) is the inhomogeneous term.

How is a second order inhomogeneous differential equation solved?

A second order inhomogeneous differential equation can be solved using various methods, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. The specific method used depends on the form of the equation and the type of inhomogeneous term.

What are some applications of second order inhomogeneous differential equations?

Second order inhomogeneous differential equations have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some examples include modeling the motion of a mass on a spring, the oscillations of a pendulum, and the vibrations of an electrical circuit.

How does a second order inhomogeneous differential equation differ from a first order differential equation?

The main difference between a second order inhomogeneous differential equation and a first order differential equation is that the former involves a second derivative, while the latter only involves a first derivative. This makes the solution of a second order equation more complex and often requires multiple steps or methods.