Second-order reaction and integrated rate law

In summary: Hm okay. So since 1 mol P is proportional to 2 moles C and we go from P to C the conversion factor is 2 mol C / 1 mol P, that is [C] = 2 [P] ?Yes, that is what the chemical reaction balance equation you wrote says.
hedegaardo1

Homework Statement

The second-order rate constant for the reaction A+2B --> 2C+D is 0.34 dm3/mol s. What is the concentration of C after 20 s and 15 min if the initial concentrations were [A] = 0.027 mol/dm3 and [ B] = 0.130 mol/dm3

Homework Equations

The integrated rate law for A+2B --> P
$$k_r t=\frac{1}{[B ]_0-2[A]_0}\ln\frac{[A]_0([B ]_0-2x)}{([A]_0-x)[B ]_0}$$
with $$x=[P]$$ as it is given in Physical Chemistry by Atkins.

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving the above equation for x gives
$$x=\frac{[ B](\exp(k_r t([ B]-2[A]))-1)}{\frac{[ B]}{[A]}\exp(k_r t([ B]-2[A]))-2}.$$
By inserting the numbers from the problem statement I get x = 0.014485 mol/dm3.
But I can't really figure out if [C] is just 2/3 *x, since we have 2C and 1D as the products or what the final answer is.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine that the reaction proceeds through an intermediary:
$$
\mathrm{A} + 2 \mathrm{B} \rightarrow \mathrm{P} \rightarrow 2 \mathrm{C} + \mathrm{D}
$$
with the final step being extremely fast. What would you get then?

DrClaude said:
Imagine that the reaction proceeds through an intermediary:
$$
\mathrm{A} + 2 \mathrm{B} \rightarrow \mathrm{P} \rightarrow 2 \mathrm{C} + \mathrm{D}
$$
with the final step being extremely fast. What would you get then?

I'm really not sure what you want me to realize by this. Then
$$-\frac{d[P]}{dt}= k' [P]^2$$
but I don't see how this helps me determine the concentration of [C].

You calculated (I haven't checked that number) that x = 0.014485 mol/dm3 = [P]. Consider that P instantaneously breaks down into 2C + D, what do you get for [C]?

Well I have the instantaneous reaction rates
$$ -\frac{d[P]}{dt}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{d[C]}{dt}$$
which gives
$$k'[P]^2=\frac{1}{2}\frac{d[C]}{dt}\Rightarrow \int_0^t k[P]^2 dt = \frac{1}{2}\int_0^{[C]}d[C]\Rightarrow k[P]^2 t = \frac{[C]}{2}$$
but if it is instantaneous t --> 0 and the above is just [C]=0, which can't be true.. So I guess this is the wrong way to go..
Btw I denoted k' since I wasn't sure if it can be set equal to the first k. Should they be equal when P is considered to break down instantaneously?

Think about just stoichiometry, you are overcomplicating things.

Borek said:
Think about just stoichiometry, you are overcomplicating things.
That was what I tried in the original post. I mean we have P --> 2C+D. So the concentration of C is 2/3 of the original concentration, that is [C]=2/3 * [P]?

hedegaardo1 said:
That was what I tried in the original post. I mean we have P --> 2C+D. So the concentration of C is 2/3 of the original concentration, that is [C]=2/3 * [P]?
Suppose I told you that, for every mole of P produced, 2 moles of C are formed, and one mole of D is formed. What would you think?

Chet

Hm okay. So since 1 mol P is proportional to 2 moles C and we go from P to C the conversion factor is 2 mol C / 1 mol P, that is [C] = 2 [P] ?

hedegaardo1 said:
Hm okay. So since 1 mol P is proportional to 2 moles C and we go from P to C the conversion factor is 2 mol C / 1 mol P, that is [C] = 2 [P] ?
That's what the chemical reaction balance equation you wrote says. You didn't need me to tell you this.

Chet

Related to Second-order reaction and integrated rate law

1. What is a second-order reaction?

A second-order reaction is a type of chemical reaction in which the rate of the reaction is directly proportional to the concentration of two reactants, or to the square of the concentration of one reactant. This means that as the concentration of the reactants increases, the rate of the reaction also increases.

2. What is the integrated rate law for a second-order reaction?

The integrated rate law for a second-order reaction is the mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the concentration of the reactants and the rate of the reaction over time. It is expressed as: 1/[A]t = kt + 1/[A]0, where [A]t is the concentration of the reactant at time t, [A]0 is the initial concentration of the reactant, k is the rate constant, and t is time.

3. How do you determine the order of a reaction from its integrated rate law?

The order of a reaction can be determined from its integrated rate law by looking at the exponent of the concentration term. For a second-order reaction, the concentration is raised to the power of 2, indicating that the reaction is second-order. The order of a reaction can also be determined by plotting the data on a graph and determining the slope of the line.

4. What is the half-life of a second-order reaction?

The half-life of a second-order reaction is the amount of time it takes for half of the initial concentration of the reactant to be consumed. It can be calculated using the equation: t1/2 = 1/(k[A]0), where t1/2 is the half-life, k is the rate constant, and [A]0 is the initial concentration of the reactant.

5. Can the rate constant change in a second-order reaction?

Yes, the rate constant can change in a second-order reaction. It is dependent on factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of a catalyst. Changes in these factors can alter the rate constant, and therefore, the rate of the reaction.