Seeking Advice on Organic Chemistry textbooks

In summary, the conversation discusses various textbooks in organic chemistry, including those by L.G. Wade, Clayden, Loudon, Klein, Carey, Morrison Boyd, and Hornback. The participants recommend Klein's Organic Chemistry as a Second Language book as a supplement to the required textbook, with some expressing preference for Klein's book as a primary learning tool. The required textbook, Loudon, is not highly regarded compared to the other options.
bacte2013
Hello!

I have some questions about the textbooks in the organic chemistry. I have been using the organic textbooks by L.G. Wade, Clayden, and Loudon. I love those books, but I have been hearing that the textbooks wrote by Klein, Carey, Morrison Boyd, and Hornback are really good. Do I need those books to complete the introductory organic chemistry or am I fine with the books I currently have right now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

You forgot to mention Vollhardt, McMurry, Smith, Bruice, Brown. :biggrin:
I believe they are all excellent text.

What's your required text ? I'd go with that and Klein Organic Chemistry as a Second Language.

I second the Organic chemistry as a second language book. It is worth every penny

Thanks for the advice! I do have the Second Langauge books by Klein in my bookshelf. The required textbook is Loudon, which is not a really good textbook. How good are Carey and Hornback compared to other textbooks I currently have?

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Seeking Advice on Organic Chemistry textbooks

1. What are the best organic chemistry textbooks for beginners?

Some popular options for beginners include "Organic Chemistry" by Paula Yurkanis Bruice and "Organic Chemistry" by Jonathan Clayden, Nick Greeves, and Stuart Warren. It ultimately depends on your personal learning style and preferences.

2. Are there any online resources or study guides that can supplement the textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources and study guides available for organic chemistry. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Master Organic Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry Tutor on YouTube.

3. How do I choose the right textbook for my level and goals?

Consider your level of understanding and goals for studying organic chemistry. If you are a beginner, look for textbooks with clear explanations and practice problems. If you are looking to go more in-depth, consider textbooks that cover advanced topics and mechanisms.

4. What are some important factors to consider when purchasing an organic chemistry textbook?

Some important factors to consider include the author's writing style, the organization and layout of the book, the level of difficulty, and any supplementary materials included (such as online access codes or study guides).

5. Are there any textbooks that include practice problems with detailed explanations?

Yes, many organic chemistry textbooks include practice problems with detailed explanations. Some examples include "Organic Chemistry: Structure and Function" by Vollhardt and Schore and "Organic Chemistry" by David R. Klein.