Seeking Alternatives for Microsoft Visio 2010 for Detailed Computer Logic Diagrams

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a software to design a detailed logic level diagram for a basic computer. The person mentions using Microsoft Visio 2010, but is not satisfied with its limitations. They are looking for a software that can automatically re-arrange wires, simulate and check for errors. Various suggestions are made, including Cadsoft Eagle, Kicad, OrCAD, Modelsim, Multisim, and a list of other software options. The conversation also mentions the availability of a free student edition of VectorWorks. Finally, the conversation concludes with a mention of WaveDrom, an open source online editor for digital timing diagrams.
farmd684
Hello,

I want to draw the detailed logic level diagram for a basic computer. For this i found a software that will work which is microsoft visio 2010. But i m not satisfied with that because it has some limitations. Such as re-arranging the wires automatically and also the simulation and error checking ie. shorting connections,faults etc.
Is there a software that is capable of doing that ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a schematic capture program, such as Cadsoft Eagle (free for individual use) or Kicad (free as in open source). I think OrCAD has a free(?) student edition as well.

modelsim can also do timing diagrams/logic simulation/VHDL and multisim can handle EE type simulation. What are you trying to do?

There are vaious software that is used to design logic diagram .The software are:

1.SmartDraw 7.0
2.EDraw Max 4.0
3.yEd Graph Editor 3.0
4.FreeDesktop 2.0
5.Goo3d Draw Tool 1.0
6.DesignWorks Lite 4.2

http://wavedrom.googlecode.com

WaveDrom is Free and Open Source online digital timing diagram editor that uses JavaScript?, HTML5 and SVG to render WaveJSON input text description into vector graphics.

The project is in progress. Any feedback appreciated.

VectorWorks has a free student edition. I think they actually shows demos of using it for circuitry on their website, although it certainly can do more. I use it to design theatre lighting plots.

Related to Seeking Alternatives for Microsoft Visio 2010 for Detailed Computer Logic Diagrams

1. What are some alternatives to Microsoft Visio 2010 for creating detailed computer logic diagrams?

Some popular alternatives include Lucidchart, Draw.io, Gliffy, SmartDraw, and Creately.

2. Are there any free alternatives to Microsoft Visio 2010?

Yes, there are several free alternatives such as Draw.io, Lucidchart's free version, and Creately's free trial.

3. Can these alternatives produce diagrams with the same level of detail as Microsoft Visio 2010?

Yes, these alternatives offer similar features and capabilities for creating detailed computer logic diagrams.

4. How do these alternatives compare in terms of user-friendliness?

Lucidchart and Draw.io are known for their user-friendly interfaces, while Gliffy and SmartDraw have a steeper learning curve but offer more advanced features.

5. Are these alternatives compatible with different operating systems?

Yes, these alternatives are compatible with various operating systems such as Windows, Mac, and Linux. Some also offer online versions that can be accessed from any device with an internet connection.