Seemingly counterintuitive Linear Algebra proof: Is it correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of vector spaces and linear maps, and how every element in a vector space can be written as a sum of an element in a subset and a constant multiple of another element not in the subset. The result may seem counter-intuitive at first, but it can be proven using the linearity of the map.
diligence
I'm taking a course based on Serge Lang's Linear Algebra. This isn't an assigned problem but I'm brushing up for an exam next week. Can you tell me if my proof is correct, because the result seems quite counter-intuitive?... (Actually, I assume the result is correct whether or not my proof is correct since it's an exercise in Lang).

Homework Statement

Let V be a vector space and let F be a linear map from V to the real numbers. Let W be the subset of V consisting of all elements v such that F(v)=0. Assume that W is not equal to V, and let v_o be an element of V which does not lie in W. Show that every element of V can be written as a sum: w + c(v_o) with some w in W and some number c.

Homework Equations

F(w)=0.
F(v_o) /=0.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let v be an element of V and let v_o be an element of W. Let c = F(v)/F(v_o) which is okay since F(v_o) is not equal to zero. Then we have 0 = F(v) - cF(v_o) = F(v - cv_o), since F is linear. Thus, v - c(v_o) is an element of W. Hence, there exists a w in W such that
v = w + c(v_o).

I guess the main thing I'm asking is if I'm allowed to use linearity of F to go backwards? I'm basically 95% sure this is okay, just want to make sure...thanks for looking..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wait that's actually not remarkable or counter-intuitive because you can just take the negative...hahah duh. i always want to make this stuff more complicated than it needs to be for some reason!

Related to Seemingly counterintuitive Linear Algebra proof: Is it correct?

1. How can seemingly counterintuitive proofs in Linear Algebra be correct?

The field of Linear Algebra is based on mathematical principles and proofs, which are rigorously tested and proven to be true. Even if a proof appears to go against our intuition, it can still be correct if it follows the logical rules of the mathematical system.

2. What makes a proof in Linear Algebra counterintuitive?

A proof in Linear Algebra may seem counterintuitive if it goes against our common understanding or intuition about how numbers and equations work. This can happen when dealing with abstract concepts or higher dimensions, where our everyday experiences may not apply.

3. How do mathematicians ensure the correctness of a seemingly counterintuitive proof?

Mathematicians use rigorous methods and logical reasoning to prove the correctness of a proof. This involves breaking down the proof into smaller, verifiable steps and using established mathematical principles to support each step.

4. Can counterintuitive proofs in Linear Algebra lead to incorrect conclusions?

No, if a proof follows the logical rules and principles of Linear Algebra, it cannot lead to incorrect conclusions. However, it is always important to double-check and verify the steps in a proof to ensure its correctness.

5. How can understanding counterintuitive proofs in Linear Algebra benefit us?

Understanding counterintuitive proofs in Linear Algebra can expand our thinking and challenge our preconceived notions about numbers and equations. It can also help us develop critical thinking skills and strengthen our understanding of the underlying principles of mathematics.