Seepage calculation for flow net

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of hydraulic gradient and the area used in the formula. The question is raised about why the area is given by only three lengths instead of four. The possibility of considering the fourth length as the width of the area is mentioned and the concept of seepage flow per unit width is explained. The conversation ends with a thank you.
tzx9633

Homework Statement

In the 3rd pictures , it's stated that q ( flow rate) = vA = kiA , so , i = hydraulic gradiene = difference in head between 2 points/ length . But , i am not sure why A ( area) is given by $$l_1$$ , $$l_2$$ and $$l_3$$ only ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the author is wrong . It should be ($$l_1$$^ 2 ) ... instead , because it's forming the square elements( in 2nd picture) . Correct me if i am wrong .[/B]

Attachments

• 682.png
    682.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 739
  • 683.png
    683.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 586
  • 684.png
    684.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 537
Physics news on Phys.org
Or the area is considered as length here ? So, only $$l1$$ , $$l2$$ and $$l3$$ are considered ??

The other length forming the area is not the other side of the square. The area A is oriented perpendicular to the direction of seepage, and the other length is "into the page." They are getting the seepage flow per unit width into the page.

Likes tzx9633
Chestermiller said:
They are getting the seepage flow per unit width into the page.
Thanks !

FAQ: Seepage calculation for flow net

1. What is a flow net?

A flow net is a graphical representation of the flow of water through a porous medium, such as soil or rock. It consists of a series of intersecting flow lines and equipotential lines, which together show the direction and magnitude of water flow.

2. How is a flow net used in seepage calculation?

A flow net is used to visualize and analyze the flow of water through a porous medium. By studying the flow lines and equipotential lines, engineers can determine the rate and direction of water flow, as well as the amount of seepage through the medium.

3. What factors affect seepage calculation in a flow net?

Several factors can affect seepage calculation in a flow net, including the permeability of the medium, the hydraulic gradient, and the water table elevation. Other factors such as boundary conditions and the presence of impermeable layers may also impact the results.

4. What is the purpose of seepage calculation in a flow net?

The purpose of seepage calculation in a flow net is to determine the rate and direction of water flow through a porous medium. This information is crucial in designing and analyzing structures, such as dams and retaining walls, to ensure they can withstand the effects of seepage.

5. Are there any limitations to using a flow net for seepage calculation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a flow net for seepage calculation. The accuracy of the results can be affected by assumptions made during the construction of the flow net, such as assuming a uniform soil profile. Additionally, the results may not account for factors such as heterogeneity or anisotropy of the medium.