Selecting a Transistor for Sample and Hold Circuit

In summary, a sample and hold circuit is a circuit used to hold and store a voltage value at a specific point in time, commonly used in analog-to-digital converters. A transistor is important in a sample and hold circuit as it acts as a switch to control the charging and discharging of the holding capacitor. When selecting a transistor for this circuit, factors such as maximum voltage and current ratings, gain and switching speed, and compatibility with other components should be considered. The most commonly used transistors are MOSFETs and JFETs, with BJTs also being an option. Other considerations include cost, availability, and package size. Consultation with a semiconductor manufacturer or application notes may also be helpful in choosing the right transistor
sailmike
This is my first time here on this forum. I am building an analog to digital converter. It will be running at a frequency of 12MHz and the sample and hold circuit will be 1/8th of that or 1.5MHz. This will be an 8-bit converter and Vdd will be 5 volts. I have a few parts to workout, the sample and hold circuit, comparator, and connectors to the analog input and digital output. I need to select transistors for the sample and hold circuit. I'd just like some help on how to select a transistor for my project. Below is a photo of the circuit I plan to use. The switch will be a transmission gate CMOS switch. I need to find a transistor for this switch with low capacitance in the right place. Also, need several more transistors for the amplifiers. Since, I plan to use these transistors on both a breadboard and PCB, I'll need one that's available in both through hole and SMD types. There are so many transistors to choose from that I don't know if I can find better than whatever one I find. I hope you guys can point me in the right direction to finding one via Mouser or Digikey.

I hope to use this circuit for actual projects in the future. The particular design I choose for this was for the speed, low power dissipation, wide bandwidth, high input impediance, and low output impediance.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Mike

Attachments

• Sample and Hold Pic.jpg
    Sample and Hold Pic.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Mike,

Welcome to the forum! Building an analog to digital converter is a great project and I'm happy to help you with selecting transistors for your circuit.

When selecting transistors for a sample and hold circuit, you want to look for ones with low leakage current and low parasitic capacitance. This will help minimize any errors in the sampling process.

For the switch in your circuit, I would recommend using a MOSFET transistor. MOSFETs have a low on-resistance and low capacitance, making them ideal for switching applications. You can search for MOSFETs on Mouser or Digikey using the criteria of low on-resistance and low capacitance, and also make sure to check the datasheet for the maximum voltage and current ratings to ensure it can handle your circuit's requirements.

For the amplifiers, you can also use MOSFETs, but you may also want to consider using operational amplifiers (op-amps). Op-amps have high input impedance and low output impedance, making them suitable for amplifying small signals. You can search for op-amps on Mouser or Digikey using the same criteria of low input and output impedance.

In terms of packaging, through-hole transistors are generally larger and easier to work with on a breadboard, while SMD transistors are smaller and more suitable for PCBs. You can search for both types on Mouser or Digikey and compare their specifications to see which one best fits your needs.

I would also recommend checking out online forums or communities for electronics enthusiasts to see what transistors they have used in similar projects and their experiences with them.

I hope this helps guide you in selecting the right transistors for your project. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your project!

Related to Selecting a Transistor for Sample and Hold Circuit

1. What is a sample and hold circuit?

A sample and hold circuit is a circuit that is used to hold and store a voltage value at a specific point in time. It typically consists of an input stage, a holding capacitor, and a switch that controls the charging and discharging of the capacitor. This circuit is commonly used in analog-to-digital converters and other applications where a steady voltage value needs to be maintained.

2. Why is a transistor important in a sample and hold circuit?

A transistor is an essential component in a sample and hold circuit because it acts as a switch to control the charging and discharging of the holding capacitor. This allows the circuit to hold a specific voltage value for a longer period, ensuring accurate sampling of the input signal.

3. How do I select the right transistor for a sample and hold circuit?

When selecting a transistor for a sample and hold circuit, there are a few key factors to consider. These include the transistor's maximum voltage and current ratings, its gain and switching speed, and its compatibility with other components in the circuit. It is also important to choose a transistor with low leakage current to minimize errors in the sampled voltage.

4. What are the common types of transistors used in sample and hold circuits?

The most commonly used transistors in sample and hold circuits are MOSFETs and JFETs. These types of transistors have fast switching speeds, low leakage currents, and high input impedance, making them suitable for use in precision circuits. Bipolar junction transistors (BJTs) can also be used, but they may introduce more errors due to their higher leakage currents.

5. Are there any additional considerations when selecting a transistor for a sample and hold circuit?

In addition to the technical specifications of the transistor, it is also important to consider the cost, availability, and package size of the transistor. These factors can affect the overall cost and design of the circuit. It may also be beneficial to consult with a semiconductor manufacturer or refer to application notes to ensure the best transistor is selected for the specific sample and hold circuit design.