Selecting Vgs and Vds for MOSFET Amplifier

In summary, the speaker has recently completed a college course on electronic circuits and is attempting to use their knowledge to design a MOSFET amplifier circuit. They are having trouble selecting the appropriate DC biasing points and are seeking assistance in determining these values. The speaker's professor suggested looking at the datasheet for the specific part being used, but the speaker is unsure how to find the necessary information. Another person in the conversation suggests using an equation or a load line to determine the biasing points, rather than relying on the Vgs vs Vds curve in the datasheet. This is because the datasheet only shows typical values and may not be applicable to real world designs.
d0wn7h1ft
Hello All,

I just finished a college course on electronic circuits (opamps, mosfets, bjts, etc) and I'm trying to put some of that knowledge towards designing a basic MOSFET amplifier circuit. Right now I'm at the stage of selecting DC biasing points and I'm having a bit of difficulty selecting these values.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/irf/jantx2n6770.pdf

Above is the datasheet for the part I am using in my multisim simulations. Is there any way of determining what my Vgs DC biasing point for saturation region should be just based on the datasheet. I ask this because I don't know whether or not it is common practice in design to always create a Vgs vs Vds curve to find the appropriate Vgs DC bias point. From what my professor told me we should be able to look at a datasheet and find out what we need to set our Vgs DC to but I don't know how to do that based on the information given in the datasheet.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I'm just having some difficulty bringing the classroom knowledge into the real world where all of the specific device parameters aren't explicitly listed.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In real world design we don't use Vgs vs Vds curve to find the appropriate Vgs DC bias point. For all single stage amplifiers we usually select Vds = 0.5Vdd.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4058469#post4058469
And we find Vgs in real world measurement. And sometimes we use this equation as first approximation method.

[itex]I_D = K*(V_{GS} - V_{GS(th)})^2 [/itex]

then form this equation

[itex]\Large K = \frac{I_D}{(V_{GS} - V_{GS(th)})^2}[/itex]

And so for example from IRF510 datasheet

http://inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~ee40/su10/labs/Booster/IRF510.pdf

That the average value of Vgs(th) is equal to Vgs(th) = (2 + 4) / 2 = 3V
And from Figure 5 that, for Vgs = 5V we have Id = 1A

K = Id/(Vgs - Vgs(th))² = 0.25 = 1A/(5V - 3V)^2 = 0.25.

So we have all the data that we need for now.

Last edited:
That makes a lot of sense, thank you. I do have one more question about this though. I was reading over my textbook and they mentioned using the Vds vs Id graph (fig 5 in your example) to also determine where the Vds and Vgs values needed to be by using a load line in the form:

id = (Vdd/Rd) - (Vds/Rd)

And by finding the intersecting of this load line with the appropriate Vds vs Id curve for the Vgs you want to find biasing characteristics. Is this method employed at all or is it mainly the one you have described?

We don't use Vds vs Id curve also. Why? Well the answer is quite simple.
The datasheet Vds vs Id graphs show typical value. Also in our circuit we will use different Vds and Id value range than it shows in the datasheet. So this Vds vs Id graph are not very useful in real life.

Hi there,

Selecting the appropriate Vgs and Vds values for a MOSFET amplifier can be a complex task, as it involves considering various factors such as device characteristics, circuit requirements, and performance objectives. While it is possible to estimate these values based on the datasheet, it is not always the most accurate or reliable method.

One approach to determining the appropriate Vgs and Vds values is to create a Vgs vs Vds curve, as your professor suggested. This will allow you to visually see the relationship between the two parameters and select a point that falls within the desired region of operation (in this case, the saturation region). However, this method may require some trial and error to find the optimal point, and it may not take into account other important considerations such as device temperature and variation.

Another approach is to use simulation software, such as Multisim, to model the circuit and test different Vgs and Vds values. This can provide a more accurate and efficient way of determining the appropriate biasing points for your amplifier. Additionally, some manufacturers may provide application notes or design guides that can help guide you in selecting the appropriate biasing points for their specific devices.

In general, it is important to carefully consider all relevant factors and use a combination of methods to select the best Vgs and Vds values for your specific amplifier circuit. It may also be helpful to consult with experienced engineers or seek additional resources for guidance. I wish you the best of luck in your design process.

Related to Selecting Vgs and Vds for MOSFET Amplifier

What is Vgs and Vds in a MOSFET amplifier?

Vgs stands for Gate-to-Source voltage and Vds stands for Drain-to-Source voltage. These are two important parameters in determining the performance of a MOSFET amplifier.

Why is it important to select the right Vgs and Vds for a MOSFET amplifier?

The right selection of Vgs and Vds is crucial in achieving the desired gain and stability of a MOSFET amplifier. Improper selection can lead to distortion, instability, and even damage to the amplifier.

How do I determine the appropriate Vgs and Vds for my MOSFET amplifier?

The Vgs and Vds values can be determined by considering the desired gain, input signal level, and power supply voltage. It is also important to refer to the MOSFET datasheet for recommended operating conditions.

What happens if I exceed the maximum Vgs and Vds ratings of a MOSFET amplifier?

Exceeding the maximum ratings can cause the MOSFET to overheat and eventually fail. This can also lead to damaging other components in the circuit. It is important to carefully select Vgs and Vds within the recommended limits.

Can I use different Vgs and Vds values for different MOSFET amplifiers?

Yes, the Vgs and Vds values can vary for different MOSFET amplifiers depending on their specifications and intended use. It is important to carefully select the appropriate values for each amplifier to ensure optimal performance.