Selection of gearbox for rotating a solid shaft

In summary, the question is about selecting a gearbox for a 320 mm diameter and 805 mm long shaft that will rotate through a flange mounted motor. The formula for calculating torque of the shaft and gearbox is needed, but it also requires additional parameters such as mass, power output, and angular velocity.
Amre
Hello
Being practical I have been stuck in one question like if I have a 320 mm diameter and 805 mm long shaft which is suppose to rotate through gearbox how do I need to select a gearbox.
As per I think I need to calculate the torque of shaft and find the torque of gearbox and based on that I will select gearbox.
I just want to know the basic formula to calculate torque of shaft and torque of gearbox assuming that it has a flange mounted motor so again how much power we need for that perticular gearbox

Engineering news on Phys.org
Without seeing the question it's hard to determine what the actual answer is. Because you are talking about angular velocity and given the values you have provided you most likely need to calculate the moment of inertia which for a cylinder is 1/2mr^2. However you still need parameters such as mass, power output from the motor, angular velocity of the motor. You must have additional parameters in the question

Related to Selection of gearbox for rotating a solid shaft

1. What factors should be considered when selecting a gearbox for rotating a solid shaft?

When selecting a gearbox for rotating a solid shaft, some important factors to consider include the torque requirements, rotational speed, and direction of rotation, as well as the physical dimensions and weight of the gearbox itself. Additionally, the intended application and environment should also be taken into account.

2. How do I determine the appropriate torque rating for a gearbox?

The torque rating of a gearbox is typically determined by the maximum torque that will be required to rotate the solid shaft, taking into account any potential variations in load. It is important to choose a gearbox with a torque rating that exceeds the maximum torque requirement to ensure reliable operation.

3. What are the different types of gearboxes that can be used for rotating a solid shaft?

There are several types of gearboxes that can be used for rotating a solid shaft, including spur gearboxes, helical gearboxes, bevel gearboxes, and worm gearboxes. Each type has its own unique features and advantages, so it is important to consider the specific needs of the application when choosing the appropriate type of gearbox.

4. How do I determine the appropriate size of gearbox for my application?

The size of a gearbox is determined by its torque rating, which is related to the size of the gears and the strength of the materials used. To determine the appropriate size of gearbox for your application, you will need to consider the required torque, the speed of rotation, and any other specific requirements of the application.

5. Can a gearbox be used to change the direction of rotation of a solid shaft?

Yes, a gearbox can be used to change the direction of rotation of a solid shaft. This is known as a reversing gearbox and is achieved by using gears with opposite helix angles. It is important to carefully consider the required direction of rotation when selecting a gearbox for this purpose.