Self-adjoint operator (Bens question at Yahoo Answers)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary, Ben's question is whether or not a matrix is self-adjoint if it does not have an orthonormal set of basis vectors. If the matrix does not have an orthonormal set of basis vectors, then the inner product between two vectors can only be represented using the \langle and \rangle commands in $\LaTeX$.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Self-adjoint operator (Ben's question at Yahoo! Answers)

Here is the question:

I have matrix that represent T:V -> V (linear map over $\mathbb{R}$) according to basis $E$.

E is not an orthonormal set.

how can I know if this T is self-adjoin ?

I know that if E was orthonormal basis we would take the transpose matrix.

but what about here ?

the matrix is :

1 2
2 1

Here is a link to the question:

Self-adjoint and properties? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Ben,

We need the expression of the inner product. Suppose $G$ is the Gram matrix of the inner product with respect to $E$ and $A$ is the matrix of $T$ with respect to $E$. Denote $X,Y$ the coordinates of $x,y$ respectively with respect to $E$. Then,

$$T\mbox{ is self-adjoint}\Leftrightarrow\; <T(x),y>=<x,T(y)>\quad \forall x\forall y\in V$$
We can express
$$<T(x),y>=(AX)^TGY=X^TA^TGY\\<x,T(y)>=X^TG(AY)=X^TGAY$$ Then, $$X^TA^TGY=X^TGAY\Leftrightarrow X^T(A^TG-GA)Y=0$$ This happens for all $X,Y$ if and only if $A^TG=GA$. So, $$\boxed{T\mbox{ is self-adjoint}\Leftrightarrow A^TG=GA}$$ Particular case: If $E$ is orthonormal then $G=I$, so $T$ is self-adjoint if and only if $A^T=A$ (i.e. $A$ is symmetric).

Fernando Revilla said:
$$T\mbox{ is self-adjoint}\Leftrightarrow\; <T(x),y>=<x,T(y)>\quad \forall x\forall y\in V$$

You can use the \langle and \rangle commands in $\LaTeX$ to get better-looking inner products:

$$\langle T(x),y \rangle = \langle x,T(y) \rangle \quad \forall x,y \in V.$$

Ackbach said:
You can use the \langle and \rangle commands in $\LaTeX$ to get better-looking inner products:

Thanks, I knew those commads but for me is better-looking < and >. Only a question of particular taste. :)

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your question. A self-adjoint operator is a linear operator that is equal to its own adjoint. The adjoint of a linear operator T on a finite-dimensional inner product space V is the unique linear operator T* on V such that <T(v), w> = <v, T*(w)> for all v, w in V, where <,> denotes the inner product.

In order to determine if a linear operator is self-adjoint, you can use the following theorem: A linear operator T on a finite-dimensional inner product space V is self-adjoint if and only if its matrix representation with respect to an orthonormal basis is equal to its own transpose.

In your case, since the basis E is not orthonormal, you cannot directly take the transpose of the matrix representation to determine if T is self-adjoint. However, you can still use the above theorem by first finding an orthonormal basis for V and then computing the matrix representation of T with respect to that basis. If the resulting matrix is equal to its own transpose, then T is self-adjoint.

In general, it is important to note that the property of being self-adjoint is dependent on the choice of basis. Therefore, it is always helpful to first find an orthonormal basis for V before determining if a linear operator is self-adjoint.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of self-adjoint operators. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best, (Scientist)

Related to Self-adjoint operator (Bens question at Yahoo Answers)

1. What is a self-adjoint operator?

A self-adjoint operator is a linear operator on a complex vector space that is equal to its own adjoint. In other words, if the operator is represented by a matrix, the matrix is equal to its own conjugate transpose.

2. What is the significance of a self-adjoint operator in mathematics?

Self-adjoint operators have many important properties that make them useful in mathematics and physics. They are particularly useful in the study of quantum mechanics, where they represent physical observables. They also have real eigenvalues and orthogonal eigenvectors, making them easier to work with in calculations.

3. How do you determine if an operator is self-adjoint?

To determine if an operator is self-adjoint, you can check if its matrix representation is equal to its own conjugate transpose. Alternatively, you can check if the operator satisfies the condition of being Hermitian, which means it is equal to its own adjoint with respect to an inner product.

4. What is the difference between a self-adjoint operator and a Hermitian operator?

While self-adjoint operators and Hermitian operators are often used interchangeably, there is a subtle difference between the two. A self-adjoint operator is equal to its own adjoint with respect to any inner product, while a Hermitian operator is equal to its own adjoint with respect to a specific inner product called the Hermitian inner product.

5. Can all operators be self-adjoint?

No, not all operators can be self-adjoint. Only operators that satisfy certain conditions, such as being linear, can be self-adjoint. Additionally, the vector space on which the operator acts must have an inner product defined on it in order for the operator to have an adjoint. Otherwise, the concept of a self-adjoint operator does not apply.