Self study math for other discipline graduate

In summary, Pure mathematics may have applications in research areas like theoretical physics, but it is very difficult to learn pure mathematics in a way that will have such an effect.
amatphyspash
i am medical doctor who wants to self [URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/self-study-basic-high-school-mathematics/']study mathematics[/URL] , the last mathematics course i took was 6 years ago at the pre-medical college .. worth mentioning that i am from a country where the educational system is different from USA

at high school i studied algebra , calculus , trigonometry , analytical geometry equivalent to SAT level .. and some calculus in college , as long time has elapsed i know i will need to refresh my basic mathematics before proceeding further ..

My questions are :
1- is it possible to Effectively self [URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/self-study-basic-high-school-mathematics/']study mathematics[/URL] to a level equivalent to a BSc math ?

2- what are the fundamental advantages of Campus study that i will be missing ? is it possible to compensate for them by another way ? How ?

3- what would be the most appropriate sequence of topics/courses to self study ?

4- How many hours a day on average do a BSc student need to study mathematics ( i mean revising and homework exercises, not lectures .. etc )

replies are Much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
amatphyspash said:
i am medical doctor who wants to self [URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/self-study-basic-high-school-mathematics/']study mathematics[/URL] , the last mathematics course i took was 6 years ago at the pre-medical college .. worth mentioning that i am from a country where the educational system is different from USA

at high school i studied algebra , calculus , trigonometry , analytical geometry equivalent to SAT level .. and some calculus in college , as long time has elapsed i know i will need to refresh my basic mathematics before proceeding further ..

My questions are :
1- is it possible to Effectively self [URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/self-study-basic-high-school-mathematics/']study mathematics[/URL] to a level equivalent to a BSc math ?

Yes, but it will be very difficult, it will take a consistent effort, and it will require a lot of self-disciple.
amatphyspash said:
2- what are the fundamental advantages of Campus study that i will be missing ?

Taking courses forces one to do the work, and to make consistent progress. The routine and pressure of lectures, assignments, tests, and exams forces a student to move forward through the material. Also, discussion with fellow students and instructors can be invaluable.

Exactly, it's all about self-control. In educational institutions, you HAVE to do a lot of work, there is no option. If you won't you'll fail. This kind of self-control and imposition is quite difficult especially for a person who has to devote a lot of time in other preofession. But as they say, slow and steady wins the race! :)

You can make it with continuous effort, even if not too much at a time.

3- what would be the most appropriate sequence of topics/courses to self study ?

4- How many hours a day on average do a BSc student need to study mathematics ( i mean revising and homework exercises, not lectures .. etc )

Basically it would depend whether you are interested in pure maths or applied. Further, your personal fields of interest would also matter. In case you need to revise your college Math, you should start from basics like Trigonometric identities and their formulas, Differentiation and integration techniques, Equations of lines and tangents, parabolas, hyperbolas, ellipses etc., Limits and Continuity. It would be good if you get some introductory college level text on pure maths or Calculus.

I think even 2 hours daily would be quite sufficient if you do that continuously. On holiday, revise the week's work. :D

thanks for the valuable advice George Jones & Peon666

you HAVE to do a lot of work
is it taught in way different from that of high school ? more specifically : the theory , proof , examples then follows lots of exercises ?

Basically it would depend whether you are interested in pure maths or applied
i am interested in applied mathematics .. so far .
will pure mathematics affect my understanding of applied mathematics ? or rather after certain level applied and pure will be completely divergent pathways ..
the following question may seem stupid:shy: but :is it possible ( ordid it happen before)that aspects of pure mathematics will have ( or had ) applications in research areas like theoretical physics for example ?

I think even 2 hours daily would be quite sufficient if you do that continuously. On holiday, revise the week's work. :D

this is GOOD news .. i used to study about an average of 6 hours/day in the medical school
it was most of the time painful cos you have to remember Huge pieces of information without Logical sequence or arrangement .. i hope studying maths will be easier , at least it was so in the in the high school ..

thanks

Related to Self study math for other discipline graduate

1. What is self-study math for other discipline graduate?

Self-study math for other discipline graduate is a method of learning mathematics outside of a traditional classroom setting, intended for individuals who have a background in another field but need to improve their math skills for their graduate studies or career.

2. How is self-study math different from traditional math education?

Self-study math allows individuals to learn at their own pace and focus on specific topics that are relevant to their needs, rather than following a set curriculum. It also often involves using online resources and textbooks instead of attending formal classes.

3. What are the benefits of self-study math for other discipline graduate?

Self-study math allows individuals to customize their learning experience and focus on areas that they may struggle with or need for their specific field of study. It also promotes self-motivation and independence in learning, which can be useful in a graduate program or professional setting.

4. Is self-study math for other discipline graduate effective?

The effectiveness of self-study math for other discipline graduate depends on the individual's dedication and commitment to learning. It can be an effective method for those who are self-motivated and have a strong foundation in mathematics, but may not be suitable for everyone.

5. What resources are available for self-study math for other discipline graduate?

There are many online resources and textbooks available for self-study math, including Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and textbooks specifically designed for self-study. Additionally, many universities offer online courses or resources for self-study math for their graduate students.