Self Studying Physics/Precalc/Calc help

In summary: E.M. has a song called "The One I Love" with the lyrics "And if the world keeps spinning I'll keep looking for the one I love, until I find her". In summary, the song is about searching for someone and wanting to find them.
Nunchi
I want to start selfstudying such subjects. I don't know where to start.
I don't know any calculus or precalculus. I've taken a basic algebra and geometry class that went a tiny bit into trig. I have taken a basic physics class in 10th grade. I'm 16 years old in 11th grade as an exchange student in Sweden from America. I plan to retake the 11th grade when I get back and start taking AP math or physics classes or go to a college course at the college where I live. I want to self study this year, and get to a point where I can read physics books and learn or understand them. I mean ones that are interesting and provide new theories I can understand.

But fornow I need the basics. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Where to go, what books/textbooks to read and go through. I am lost, there is so much to do but not sure if it's effective or useful.

Name some textbooks for precalc or anything please

Physics news on Phys.org
I self taught myself precalc and trig through Stewart's book.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0495013579/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I went from knowing nothing about trig or precalc but I was able to follow the topics in the book then test into Calc 1 my first semester in college. The reason I like the book is because it uses a lot of visuals during presenting the material. Pictures, graphs, etc. The other reason I enjoyed it was he had a special topic section in between chapters based on a real world applications. So after I thought I knew the chapter pretty well I would go to those sections and get challenged.

You don't need to get the CD version, I just got the regular book but it was the only link I could find. I have the 2nd edition but there's a 3rd edition out which I know nothing about. I would save the money and buy the $3 used 2nd edition. Good luck.

thank you, i believe that covers the precalc part
should that be where i start?
do i need to go through self studying precalc to learn physics? because the basic physics class i took in school, we just learned...physics i guess. i mean the math is probably calculus but we didnt really, go into a calculus or precalculus book to learn that. is it nessessary?

this entire self study journey started by me wanting to read physics books. such as about the universe and physics theories. but in order to do that, i need to know...well...physics and for that i think i need calc and for that i need precalc and a big line of things

A very good book is Lang's "basic mathematics".
It contains everything you need to know before you tackle calculus. It is also quite theoretical, which (imo) is better for the understanding.

If you done all that, then you can start doing calculus. And after that, you can do calculus-based physics.

do i need to go through self studying precalc to learn physics?
Definitely, few things are as indispensable as (pre)calc for physics.

okidoki ty both of you, i guess ill do serge langs instead, since theoretical sounds more interesting and it seems a lot more simple and easier(not to mention cheaper) to do the serge lang route.

Nunchi said:
okidoki ty both of you, i guess ill do serge langs instead, since theoretical sounds more interesting and it seems a lot more simple and easier(not to mention cheaper) to do the serge lang route.

It's actually much harder. Theoretical books are harder to read. But you'll gain a lot of understanding in the end. You'll have to read theoretical books sooner or lateR.

Related to Self Studying Physics/Precalc/Calc help

1. How can I effectively self-study physics?

To effectively self-study physics, it is important to have a clear understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts. Start by reviewing your class notes and textbooks, and make sure to practice solving problems and equations. It can also be helpful to watch online lectures or join study groups to reinforce your understanding and ask questions.

2. What are some tips for self-studying precalculus?

Some tips for self-studying precalculus include breaking the material into smaller, manageable chunks, practicing regularly, and using online resources such as video tutorials and practice problems. It can also be helpful to create flashcards or summary notes to review important concepts.

3. Is it possible to self-study calculus?

Yes, it is possible to self-study calculus. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in precalculus and algebra before starting. It is also helpful to have a textbook or online resources to guide your learning and practice solving problems regularly.

4. How can I stay motivated while self-studying?

To stay motivated while self-studying, it is important to set specific goals and track your progress. Reward yourself for meeting these goals and take breaks when needed. It can also be helpful to find a study partner or join a study group for accountability and support.

5. Are there any resources for self-studying physics, precalculus, and calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources available for self-studying these subjects. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Coursera, and YouTube channels such as Crash Course and The Organic Chemistry Tutor. It can also be helpful to utilize textbooks, practice problems, and study guides from reputable publishers.