Selling books online and shipping

• Thread starter dkotschessaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, Dave K went to a UPS store and found that he was charged $7.00 for media mail for a textbook. He then went to a post office and found that they were just as helpful and friendly, but they expected him to know what he was doing. He also found that it's a special time and that one volume of Hungerford bought him two containers of Similac baby formula.
dkotschessaa
(In the United States anyway).

When you sell books online, what methods do you use? How much do you pay? Do you use media mail? Flat rate boxes?

I am selling some textbooks I'm no longer using, and I'm kind of clueless about this sort of thing. I've been going to a UPS store that does USPS. They are extremely helpful and friendly, but today I was charged $7.00 shipping for media mail for a textbook. (It's Rotman's group theory - kind of heavy, but is it THAT heavy?).

I think the post office might be slightly further away but they will probably be grumpier and expect I already know what I'm doing. If you know you are selling stuff online, do you save money by buying a few mailers ahead of time and perhaps printing your own labels?

-Dave K

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, so you all just keep all your books.

:H

Yep. Maybe you should reconsider. :devil:

dkotschessaa said:
When you sell books online, what methods do you use? How much do you pay?
Sorry, I have never sold my books. Right now I am, in my boring time, re-reading the calculus one :smile:. And practicing the exercises again.
dkotschessaa said:
I've been going to a UPS store that does USPS.
UPS doing USPS?

I am confused now. USPS is United States Postal Service. UPS is another shipping entity... I don't get it.

:oldconfused:
dkotschessaa said:
I think the post office might be slightly further away but they will probably be grumpier and expect I already know what I'm doing.
Yes, postal offices, in my experience, have a lot of traffic. They are just not into informing the client. They just expect you to know.

dlgoff said:
Yep. Maybe you should reconsider. :devil:

It's a special time. One volume of Hungerford bought me two containers of Similac baby formula...
Psinter said:
Sorry, I have never sold my books. Right now I am, in my boring time, re-reading the calculus one :smile:. And practicing the exercises again.

UPS doing USPS?

I am confused now. USPS is United States Postal Service. UPS is another shipping entity... I don't get it.

It's a UPS "store" so they do all kinds of shipping services including regular postal.

Yes, postal offices, in my experience, have a lot of traffic. They are just not into informing the client. They just expect you to know.

I just wish they were more...gruntled..

Psinter said:

I go to two US post offices, a small one near my house and a large one by the airport. They are both staffed by friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people.

dkotschessaa said:
It's a special time. One volume of Hungerford bought me two containers of Similac baby formula...
Well then. I understand.
from https://similac.com/baby-feeding/tummy-trouble
tummy_trouble_main_image-v2-tummy-tool.jpg

Related to Selling books online and shipping

1. How do I determine the shipping cost for my books?

The shipping cost for your books will depend on factors such as the weight of the book, the destination, and the shipping method chosen. You can use online shipping calculators or contact your preferred shipping carrier for an accurate estimate.

2. What are the best platforms for selling books online?

Some popular platforms for selling books online include Amazon, eBay, and Barnes & Noble. It is also recommended to consider creating your own website or using social media platforms to reach a wider audience.

3. How do I package my books for shipping?

Books should be packaged in a sturdy box or padded envelope to protect them during shipping. It is also recommended to use bubble wrap or packing peanuts to provide extra cushioning. Make sure to seal the package securely to prevent any damage during transit.

4. What are the most cost-effective shipping options for selling books online?

For domestic shipping, using USPS Media Mail is often the most cost-effective option for sending books. For international shipping, using a shipping consolidator or flat rate shipping options can help save on costs. It is recommended to compare prices and choose the most suitable option for your needs.

5. How do I handle returns or damaged shipments?

Make sure to have a clear return policy in place for your customers. If a book arrives damaged, it is important to have proper insurance and documentation in place to file a claim with the shipping carrier. For returns, provide clear instructions and guidelines for the customer to follow to ensure a smooth process.