Semi Major Axis of Jupiter's Orbit & Asteroid Period

• Thread starter ghostbuster25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axis Major
In summary, the semimajor axis of the orbit of Jupiter is 7.8*108 and if an asteroid has an orbital period half of that of Jupiter, the semi major axis would be 3.9*108. Kepler's third law states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the square of the semi major axis. To apply this, the equation T2/a3=K can be used, but since only the semi major axis of the sun and Jupiter is known, it is unclear how to proceed. Any comments would be appreciated.
ghostbuster25
my question is... the semimajor axis of the orbit of Jupiter is 7.8*108.
If an asteroid has an orbital period half of that of Jupiter what is the semi major axis?

All i did was times 7.8*108 by 1/2 and got 3.9*108.

Seems to simple!??

any comments much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
What does Kepler's third law say?

that the square of the orbital period is propotional to the square of the semi major axis.

im unsure of how to apply this though.

I believe T2/a3=K to be relivent but as i only know that the semi major of the sun and Jupiter is 7.8*108 I am confused what to do next

Related to Semi Major Axis of Jupiter's Orbit & Asteroid Period

1. What is the semi major axis of Jupiter's orbit?

The semi major axis of Jupiter's orbit is the average distance between Jupiter and the Sun. It is approximately 778 million kilometers or 5.2 astronomical units (AU).

2. How does the semi major axis of Jupiter's orbit affect its orbit period?

The semi major axis of an orbit is directly proportional to the orbital period. This means that the larger the semi major axis, the longer the orbital period. In Jupiter's case, its semi major axis of 5.2 AU results in an orbital period of approximately 11.86 Earth years.

3. What is the significance of the semi major axis in determining an asteroid's period?

The semi major axis of an asteroid's orbit is one of the key factors in calculating its orbital period. This is because the semi major axis determines the size and shape of the asteroid's orbit, which in turn affects its orbital period.

4. How does the semi major axis of an asteroid's orbit compare to that of Jupiter's?

The semi major axis of an asteroid's orbit can vary greatly, ranging from 0.2 AU to over 3.5 AU. In comparison, Jupiter's semi major axis is 5.2 AU, making it significantly larger.

5. Can the semi major axis of an asteroid's orbit change over time?

Yes, the semi major axis of an asteroid's orbit can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other objects in the solar system. This can result in a change in the asteroid's orbital period.