Semi-Simple Lie Algebra Representations

In summary, the conversation discusses the uniqueness of decomposition of a representation of a semisimple Lie algebra into irreducible representations. The conversation also touches upon the concept of equivalence of representations and the use of the identity map to show that one summand of a decomposition is isomorphic to another. The conversation emphasizes the need for explicitness in proving this for an arbitrary representation.
lion8172
I'm trying to prove that any representation of a semisimple Lie algebra can be uniquely decomposed into irreducible representations.

I have seen some sketches of proofs that show that any representation [tex] \phi [/tex] of a semisimple Lie algebra which acts on a finite-dimensional complex vector space [tex] V [/tex] is completely reducible (i.e. [tex] V = V_1 \oplus V_2 \oplus \cdots \oplus V_k [/tex], such that the restriction of [tex] \phi [/tex] to each [tex] V_i [/tex] is irreducible). But how do we know that this decomposition is unique?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You show that in two decompositions

[tex]V\cong \oplus V_i \cong W_j[/tex]

that one of the summands V_r is isomorphic to one W_s, wlog V_1 and W_1, then use induction on V/V_1.

question

So two representations [tex] \phi [/tex] and [tex] \phi ' [/tex] for [tex] \mathfrak{g} [/tex] are said to be equivalent if there is an isomorphism [tex] E [/tex] between the underlying vector spaces such that [tex] E \phi (X) = \phi' (X) E [/tex], [tex] \forall X \in \mathfrak{g} [/tex]. How do we know that the restriction of a representation to a given [tex] V_i [/tex] above is equivalent to a restriction of that representation to a given [tex] W_i [/tex]?
Note that, by irreducible, I mean a vector space with no invariant subspaces under the given representation (except zero and itself).

Last edited:
The identity map on V restricts to the identity map on V_1. This must then factor through one of the W_i, wlog W_1, hence V_1 is isomorphic to W_1.

Could you be a little more explicit?
Note that I'm trying to prove this for an arbitrary representation.

I know what you're trying to do; I was explicit; where do you see me do something not for an arbitrary representation? You want to show that V_1 is isomorphic to W_1 (after reordering the indices of the W_i). That is what I did.

1. You want to find an isomrphism from V_1 to W_1, that is maps f,g such that gf= Id on V_1 and fg=Id on W_1. That is the definition of isomorphism.

2. Consider Id on V. This maps \oplus V_i to \oplus W_j, and back again.

3. Look at V_1 mapping under Id to \oplus W_j.

4. The image must lie in at least one of the W_j. WLOG W_1.

5. So we have a map, Id restricted to V_1, call it f, that maps to W_1.

6. Call Id restricted to W_1 g.

7. What is gf? It is Id on V_1.

I really can't be any more explicit. In fact that is precisely what I wrote before.

Related to Semi-Simple Lie Algebra Representations

What is a semi-simple Lie algebra representation?

A semi-simple Lie algebra representation is a way of describing the structure and behavior of a semi-simple Lie algebra using matrices. A semi-simple Lie algebra is a type of mathematical structure that is used to study the symmetries of objects in physics and other fields. By using matrices, we can understand how the algebra transforms under certain operations, such as rotations or reflections.

What are the benefits of studying semi-simple Lie algebra representations?

Studying semi-simple Lie algebra representations allows us to understand the symmetries of objects and systems in a more abstract and general way. This can help us solve complex problems in physics, such as describing the behavior of particles or predicting the properties of materials. Additionally, studying these representations can lead to new insights and discoveries in mathematics itself.

How are semi-simple Lie algebra representations related to group theory?

Semi-simple Lie algebra representations are closely related to group theory, as they both involve studying the symmetries of mathematical objects. In fact, semi-simple Lie algebras can be seen as a type of Lie group, which is a type of mathematical structure that describes continuous symmetries. By studying the representations of semi-simple Lie algebras, we can better understand the structure and behavior of these groups.

What is the significance of Cartan subalgebras in semi-simple Lie algebra representations?

Cartan subalgebras are a key concept in studying semi-simple Lie algebra representations. They are a special type of subalgebra that can be used to decompose a semi-simple Lie algebra into simpler parts, making it easier to study. Cartan subalgebras also play an important role in the classification of semi-simple Lie algebras, which is crucial for understanding their representations.

What are some real-world applications of semi-simple Lie algebra representations?

Semi-simple Lie algebra representations have many applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and particle physics. They are also used in other areas of mathematics, such as differential geometry and topology. In addition, the study of semi-simple Lie algebra representations has led to new developments in pure mathematics, such as the theory of Lie groups and Lie algebras.