Semiconductors: P-N junction and carriers density confusion

In summary, a P-N junction is a boundary between a p-type semiconductor and an n-type semiconductor, created by doping one part of a semiconductor crystal with impurities. Carriers, either electrons or holes, contribute to the functioning of a P-N junction by diffusing across the junction and recombining with carriers of the opposite type, creating a depletion region. Donor and acceptor impurities introduce free carriers into the semiconductor crystal, affecting its conductivity. Dopants are intentionally added to create a P-N junction, allowing for the controlled flow of current in one direction.
PizzaCake

Homework Statement

Hello PF, this is my first post (however I lurked here a few times).
This comes from a lab I recently did.

In this lab, we measure the current and voltage at a fixed temperature, in order to make an I(V) graph of a diode. Then, from this data and equation (1), we managed to find out the constant e/K, for a set temperature (where e is the elementary charge and K the Bolztmann constant). The second objective was to find Eg, the energy of the band gap (?).

To sum up, the data we have is voltage and associated current, at one temperature, and we measured for 10 different temperatures.

This is where I am confused; I don't know what Eg is or what it does and this is all the written information I have. Please refer to the other equations for more info.

Homework Equations

(1) Diode equation, forward bias
$$ I_F =I_0 e^\frac{eV}{KT}$$

(2) Equation provided for ##I_0##:
$$I_0=Ae [n_{p0} \frac{D_n}{L_n} + p_{n0} \frac{D_p}{L_p}]$$
where:
A is the area of the junction (I have no idea how to figure this out);
##D_n## et ##L_n## are respectively the coefficient and length of diffusion for electrons;
##D_p## et ##L_p## same for holes; (again, I kinda understand what this is, but I do not know how to get values for these)
##n_{p0}## and ##p_{n0}## are the concentrations of the minority carriers (which I understood to be electrons in the P region, and the opposite for p)
e is the electron charge

(3) and (4), equations for the concentrations of majority carriers
(3) ## n_0 = N_d = N_c e^{-\frac{E_C-E_F}{KT}}##
(4) ## p_0 = N_a = N_v e^{-\frac{E_F-E_V}{KT}}##

where:
##N_d##: the concentration of donator atoms in the N region (?)
##N_a##: the concentration of acceptor atoms in the P region (?)
##n_0##: the concentration of free electrons in the N region (?)
##p_0##: the concentration of holes in the P region (?)
##N_C##: the effective density in the conduction band (?)
##N_V##: the effective density in the valence band (?)

(5) ## n_0 p_0 = N_C N_V e^{-\frac{E_G}{KT}} = n_i^2 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

First, my problem. I have a hard time understanding where do all these concentrations come from, specificially, how can I calculate/know them?
In equations (3) and (4), ##E_F##,##E_C## and ##E_V## seem to stand for energy at fermi level, conduction level and valence level. I know these refers to an energy level, but while I have a vague idea of what the fermi level is I don't know what's it used for. What I'm looking for is ##E_G##. (and I'm not quite sure what it is)

I tried reading lots of material however I seems I was only able to find things that were loosely related to my problem, and got me confused some more.

Any general help or clarification would be highly appreciated. Do not hesitate to ask for clarifications; I will happily deliver.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your lab experience with us. From your post, it seems like you are trying to understand the concept of band gaps and how they relate to the diode equation. Let me try to provide some clarification and help you towards finding a solution.

First, the energy of the band gap (Eg) is the energy difference between the top of the valence band and the bottom of the conduction band in a semiconductor material. This energy gap is what determines the conductivity of the material and is an important factor in understanding the behavior of a diode.

Now, in order to calculate Eg, you will need to know the concentrations of the majority carriers (electrons in the N region and holes in the P region) as well as the effective densities in the conduction and valence bands. These values can be determined experimentally or can be estimated using equations (3) and (4) that you have provided.

Equation (5) is also important in understanding the relationship between band gap and concentration of carriers. It states that the product of the concentrations of electrons and holes (majority carriers) is equal to the square of the intrinsic carrier concentration (ni). This value can also be calculated using equation (5) if you have the values for Nc and Nv.

In order to find Eg, you will need to rearrange equation (5) to solve for Eg. This can be done by taking the natural logarithm of both sides and then solving for Eg. Once you have Eg, you can use it in equation (1) to calculate the constant e/K.

I hope this helps you towards finding a solution for your lab. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck!

Related to Semiconductors: P-N junction and carriers density confusion

What is a P-N junction?

A P-N junction is a boundary between a p-type semiconductor and an n-type semiconductor. It is created by doping one part of a semiconductor crystal with impurities that introduce excess holes (p-type) or electrons (n-type). The resulting junction allows for the flow of current in one direction, making it an essential component in many electronic devices.

How do carriers contribute to the functioning of a P-N junction?

Carriers, either electrons or holes, are responsible for the conduction of electric current in a semiconductor. In a P-N junction, carriers diffuse across the junction and recombine with carriers of the opposite type. This creates a depletion region, which acts as a barrier to the flow of current in the reverse direction, making the P-N junction a one-way valve for current.

What is the difference between donor and acceptor impurities in a semiconductor?

Donor impurities are atoms with an extra electron in their outermost shell, such as phosphorus, which is used to create n-type semiconductors. Acceptor impurities are atoms with a missing electron in their outermost shell, such as boron, which is used to create p-type semiconductors. These impurities introduce free carriers into the semiconductor crystal, either electrons or holes, respectively.

How does the density of carriers affect the behavior of a P-N junction?

The density of carriers, or the number of free electrons or holes, directly affects the conductivity of a semiconductor. In a P-N junction, a higher carrier density will result in a larger depletion region and a higher barrier to the flow of current in the reverse direction. This can also affect the breakdown voltage and switching speed of the junction.

What is the role of dopants in creating a P-N junction?

Dopants are impurities intentionally added to a semiconductor crystal to create a P-N junction. By doping one side of the crystal with donor impurities and the other side with acceptor impurities, a P-N junction is formed at the boundary between the two regions. This allows for the controlled flow of current in one direction, making it an essential component in electronic devices such as diodes and transistors.