Send Particle Backwards in Time - Is this a hoax?

In summary, the conversation is about a video found on YouTube discussing the possibility of distorting space and time with laser beams to send particles from the future to the past. The discussants are skeptical about the feasibility of this concept and question the validity of the theory and the amount of energy required. They also mention that there are two papers commenting on the theory, one of which appears to refute it. They also discuss the possibility of using different methods besides light to achieve the claimed effects.
hodges

Found this on Youtube. Sounds pretty far-fetched to me, but given that it was supposedly broadcast on the Discovery Channel I watched it. The idea is to be able to distort space and time with laser beams, such that a particle can be sent from the future back to the past. Supposedly it is already being actively worked on.

I'm guessing that either 1. the theory itself is invalid, or 2. it would require infinite amounts of energy to actually do this. Any comments from those more knowledgeable on the subject than I am?

Thanks,
Hodges

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
atyy said:
Mallett's Foundations of Physics paper doesn't seem to be on arXiv, but 2 papers commenting on it are:
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0410078
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0701024

Thanks for the links. Am I understanding correctly that the first link repudiates what the video describes being attempted? What is the second link? Is it trying to show that the original process using light does not work by arguing that the claimed effects do not even need light?

Hodges

Related to Send Particle Backwards in Time - Is this a hoax?

1. Is it really possible to send particles backwards in time?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence or technology that supports the possibility of sending particles backwards in time. The concept of time travel and manipulating time is still largely theoretical and has not been proven to be achievable.

2. What is the source of this claim that particles can be sent back in time?

This claim may have originated from a misunderstanding of certain experiments in quantum mechanics, such as the delayed-choice quantum eraser experiment. However, these experiments do not involve sending particles back in time, but rather observing their behavior in a specific sequence.

3. Has anyone successfully sent particles backwards in time?

No, to date, no one has been able to successfully demonstrate the ability to send particles backwards in time. All claims or experiments in this area have either been debunked or have not been able to provide concrete evidence.

4. What are the potential implications of sending particles backwards in time?

If it were possible to send particles backwards in time, it would fundamentally change our understanding of the laws of physics and the concept of causality. It could also have major implications for information and communication systems.

5. Are there any ongoing research or experiments in this area?

There are ongoing studies and experiments in the field of quantum mechanics and time travel. However, these studies are focused on understanding the fundamental nature of time and the universe, rather than on achieving the ability to send particles backwards in time.