Sensor - accelerations to displacements, error

In summary: It's possible that the drift is causing an error in the position data, but it's also possible that there is an error in the sensor itself.
Maria Redericki
Hello everybody, apologies from outset for bad English.

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice regarding my problem. I have a sesnor that gives acceleration readings. I have been working hard to turn these readings into position or displacements. I tried many method but MATLAB cumptrapz was most effective. I integrated my data twice and got position

This has been quite successful but I have recently had some test data where by I know exactly the distance traveled because I was able to measure it at the time. I now see that displacement given by cumtrap is out by a small amount. How can I improve upon accuracy. I have looked at centering my velocity aound before carrying out the second integration i have also made sure of these things such as start at point where acceleration is zero and where velocity is zero but I still have some problems. Also I find to completely do these things is tricky so I have do it with some slight error. Can you advise for me some help?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What ever in the world is cumtrapz?

Just guessing that it might be a routine based on trapezoidal integration, you might us a better integration algorithm such as Simpson's rule.

Hello Doctor, This is a algoirthm on Mathlab based upon the trapezium rule as you suggest. I think everything around simpsons rule they have on there needs function and I just have discrete data? Do you think this will solve my problem of being a little out in terms of distance it is not by much but I want to correct

An acceleration sensor will always give lead to some errors - a small measurement error early on leads to a constant offset in the velocity, even with an impossible perfect integration scheme.

Is the deviation between estimated and measured distance getting worse over time?

Maia, it is hard to say what will correct your problem when I do not know ith certainty what is wrong.

Simpson's rule works (approximately) with both discrete and continuous data.

You can make up a test case, perhaps pure sinusoidal data, to check the calcs to see where the error is coming in.

Well when I examine the velocity I see that I have drift and it is quadratic. This makes me think that it could be causing error in the position data but I am not sure how to rectify this.

FAQ: Sensor - accelerations to displacements, error

1. How do sensor accelerations convert to displacements?

Sensor accelerations can be converted to displacements using the equation d = 1/2 * a * t^2, where d is the displacement, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. This equation assumes a constant acceleration and can be used for both linear and rotational motion.

2. What factors can cause errors in sensor accelerations to displacements conversion?

There are several factors that can cause errors in sensor accelerations to displacements conversion, including noise in the sensor signal, non-linearity of the sensor, temperature changes, and mechanical vibrations. These errors can be reduced through calibration and using high-quality sensors.

3. Can sensor accelerations be directly measured as displacements?

No, sensor accelerations cannot be directly measured as displacements. Acceleration is a second-order derivative of displacement, so it cannot be directly measured. Instead, acceleration is typically measured using a sensor such as an accelerometer and then converted to displacements using the equation mentioned in the first question.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of sensor accelerations to displacements conversion?

To improve the accuracy of sensor accelerations to displacements conversion, it is important to use high-quality sensors, properly calibrate the sensors, and account for any external factors that may affect the measurements. Additionally, using advanced signal processing techniques can also help improve accuracy.

5. Can sensor accelerations to displacements conversion be used for all types of motion?

Yes, sensor accelerations to displacements conversion can be used for both linear and rotational motion. However, the accuracy and precision may vary depending on the type of motion and the external factors that may affect the measurements.