Sensor project relating to thermistor

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving creating a sensor with thermistors and measuring temperature over time. The suggested method is to use an op amp to convert the thermistor output to 0-5V, then connect it to an ADC and display the data on either 7 segment LEDs or an LCD. Alternatively, the data can be collected directly into a computer. The individual also mentions considering using an LM75, FPGA, and verilog, but finding it too difficult. They ask for websites with schematics for the sensor circuit.
vptran84
Howdy,

I'm want to make a sensor dealing with thermistors, and i just don't know where to begin...Can someone please help me get started? The project can be anything...but I am leaning towards measuring the temperatures vs time. using thermistors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
what do you want the output to be ?
what is usually done is to connect the thermistor to an op amp , giving 0- 5 V output , then using either a microcontroller with a built in Analog to Digital converter (ADC)
or a stand alone ADC , connected to BCD to 7 segment decoder chips connected to 7 segment LEDs..
or the stand alone ADC connected to an LCD driver connected to an LCD ..

of course you could allways eliminate the output and collect the data (as binary) right into your pc..

thank you for your response...

i want the output to be in digital, and it should display the temperature vs. time.

initially, i was thinking of doing a temperature sensor using an LM75, FPGA, and verilog...and display it on a 7 segment display. But it is just too hard.

Do you know of any websites that has schematics of the sensor circuit? thanks

vptran84 said:
Do you know of any websites that has schematics of the sensor circuit? thanks
thermistor preamp

FAQ: Sensor project relating to thermistor

1. What is a thermistor?

A thermistor is a type of temperature sensor that is made of semiconductor materials. Its resistance changes in response to changes in temperature, making it useful for measuring and monitoring temperature in various applications.

2. How does a thermistor work?

A thermistor works by utilizing the principles of thermistors. When temperature increases, the resistance of the thermistor decreases, and when temperature decreases, the resistance increases. This change in resistance can be measured and converted into temperature readings.

3. What is the purpose of a sensor project relating to thermistors?

A sensor project relating to thermistors aims to utilize thermistors as temperature sensors in various applications. This can include monitoring and controlling temperature in electronic devices, HVAC systems, and many other industries where temperature is a critical factor.

4. How accurate are thermistors as temperature sensors?

Thermistors are highly accurate temperature sensors, with an accuracy range of around ±0.2°C to ±1°C. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the type of thermistor and the calibration methods used.

5. What are the advantages of using a thermistor in a sensor project?

There are several advantages to using thermistors in a sensor project. These include their small size, high sensitivity, and low cost. They also have a wide temperature range, are highly accurate, and have a quick response time, making them suitable for various applications.

Back