Separable Differential Equation (what's wrong?)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an equation that involves the derivative of y with respect to x. The approach involves separating the integrals and then integrating both sides. By plugging in the given point, the constant c can be solved for and the final solution is y=Cx^(8/5).
scud0405
So, here's the problem:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{8y}{5x}[/tex]

To start off, I separate the integrals, which gives me:

[tex]\frac{dy}{8y} = \frac{dy}{5x}[/tex]

After that, I integrate both sides, which gives me:

[tex]\frac{ln8y}{8} = \frac{ln5x}{5} + c [/tex]

Now, the question says that it runs through (4, 1), so that is saying that y(4) = 1, correct?

To solve for c, I just plug the 4 in where the Xs are and the 1 is where the Ys are?

EDIT: Sorry, posted in the wrong forum! Please move this thread for me :\

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the correct approach.

Notice by the way that
[tex]\frac{ln(8y)}{8}= \frac{ln(5x)}{5}+ c[/tex]
is the same as
[tex]\frac{ln(y)+ ln(8)}{8}= \frac{ln(x)+ ln(5)}{5}+ c[/tex]
[tex]\frac{ln(y)}{8}+ 1= \frac{ln(x)}{5}+ 1+ c[/tex]
[tex]\frac{ln(y)}{8}= \frac{ln(x)}{5}+ c[/tex]

And that is the same as
[tex]ln(y)= \frac{8}{5} ln(x)+ 8c= ln(x^{\frac{8}{5}})+ 8c[/itex]
so that
[tex]y= e^{8c} x^{\frac{8}{4}}[/tex]
and that can be written simply
[tex]y= Cx^{\frac{8}{5}[/tex]
where [itex]C= e^{8c}[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, okay! How did the 8c become only c in:

[tex]\frac{8}{5} ln(x)+ 8c= ln(x^{\frac{8}{5}})+ c[/tex]

Thanks for the help.

scud0405 said:
Oh, okay! How did the 8c become only c in:

[tex]\frac{8}{5} ln(x)+ 8c= ln(x^{\frac{8}{5}})+ c[/tex]

Thanks for the help.

8*c = c because 8, a constant, times a constant c, is still a constant.

I have editted my post to make that clearer.

FAQ: Separable Differential Equation (what's wrong?)

1. What is a separable differential equation?

A separable differential equation is a type of differential equation where the dependent variable and the independent variable can be separated into separate functions. This allows for the equation to be solved by integrating each side separately.

2. How do you know if a differential equation is separable?

A differential equation is separable if it can be written in the form of $\frac{dy}{dx} = f(x)g(y)$, where $f(x)$ and $g(y)$ are functions of the independent and dependent variables, respectively. This means that the variables can be separated into separate functions on each side of the equation.

3. What is the process for solving a separable differential equation?

The process for solving a separable differential equation involves separating the variables, integrating both sides of the equation separately, and then solving for the dependent variable. This typically involves using techniques such as integration by substitution or integration by parts.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a separable differential equation?

One common mistake when solving a separable differential equation is forgetting to add the constant of integration after integrating both sides of the equation. Another mistake is incorrectly separating the variables, which can lead to an incorrect solution.

5. Are all differential equations separable?

No, not all differential equations are separable. Some equations may require more advanced techniques, such as using differential operators or solving for a specific solution using initial conditions. Other equations may not have a closed-form solution and require numerical methods to approximate a solution.