Separable Differential Equation

In summary, the given differential equation can be solved by separating the variables and using integration. After factoring out p in the denominator and resolving the integrand into partial fractions, the final solution is a quadratic equation in terms of P.
dkotschessaa

Homework Statement

Solve the given differential equation by separation of variables.

Homework Equations

dP/dt = P - P2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is no problem to "solve" except that Webassign (:cry:) wants to know the whole thing in terms of P.

You end up with

dP/(P-P2) = dt

which is not a difficult integral, but you end up with a left side: (after "e-ing" both sides) of P-P^2. How can I give this in terms of P, or am I thinking wrong? (probably the latter)

-Dave K

Physics news on Phys.org
dkotschessaa said:

Homework Statement

Solve the given differential equation by separation of variables.

Homework Equations

dP/dt = P - P2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is no problem to "solve" except that Webassign (:cry:) wants to know the whole thing in terms of P.

You end up with

dP/(P-P2) = dt

which is not a difficult integral, but you end up with a left side: (after "e-ing" both sides) of P-P^2. How can I give this in terms of P, or am I thinking wrong? (probably the latter)

-Dave K
I'm assuming that P2 is really P2 .

What is P2 equal to after you integrate?

Don't you have an equation which is quadratic in P ?

Yes, you're correct, it's P^2 (Sorry about that). I suppose yes, it's a quadratic. Let me see what happens.

So your equation is
[tex]\int{\frac{dp}{p-p^2}dp}=\int{dt}[/tex]

Factor out p in the denominator: it becomes a product. You can resolve the LHS integrand to partial fractions.

ehild

Related to Separable Differential Equation

1. What is a separable differential equation?

A separable differential equation is a type of differential equation where the dependent variable and independent variable can be separated on opposite sides of the equation. This allows for the equation to be solved by integrating each side separately.

2. How do you solve a separable differential equation?

To solve a separable differential equation, you must first separate the variables on opposite sides of the equation. Then, integrate each side separately, making sure to include any necessary constants of integration. Finally, solve for the dependent variable in terms of the independent variable.

3. What is the purpose of solving a separable differential equation?

The purpose of solving a separable differential equation is to find a function that satisfies the equation and can be used to model a real-world situation. These equations are often used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to describe how a system changes over time.

4. Can all differential equations be solved using separation of variables?

No, not all differential equations can be solved using separation of variables. This method only works for certain types of equations where the variables can be easily separated. Some equations may require more advanced techniques or cannot be solved analytically.

5. Are there any limitations to using separation of variables to solve differential equations?

While separation of variables is a powerful and commonly used technique in solving differential equations, it does have some limitations. It may not work for all types of equations, and some equations may require additional assumptions or techniques to be solved. Additionally, the solution may not always be unique and may require further analysis to find the most appropriate solution.