Separated paraLLEL COILS WITH MAGNETIC FLUX INTO ONE

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of two parallel air coils and a magnet to induce a magnetic field and create a voltage across the coils. There was a question about whether the voltage would transfer to the other coil and how to add components to create a magnetic field in the second coil. The conversation also mentioned the use of a motor with two electrically attached coils and a magnet to create a force for rotation. The speaker has ordered an oscilloscope to further analyze the signals in their project.
dennisk
I have two parallel air coils attached to each other but separated by 3" of air. if I move a magnet past one coil it will induce a magnetic flux into it and that will create a voltage across it. Will that voltage transfer to the other coil thereby creating a magnetic pulse in the second coil? Is there a way to add components to create the second coil magnetic field? This is using only a magnet and not an electronic power source.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
If the two coils are attached in the sense of being electrically connected - so a current on one flows in the other, then yes. That's how power gets from the power station to your appliances.

3" is pretty close though so it is probably better to model the pair as a single inductor.
I suspect you are grappling with mutual vs self inductance.
http://spiff.rit.edu/classes/phys213/lectures/henry/henry_long.html

I am working on a motor. Two coils electrically attached and glued with ends sitting on top of a dvd disc separated by 2" of air space. One inside and another outside of disc. I have another disc under this one with bearings to allow it to turn. The second disc has a magnet that will induce a voltage into the inside coil above as it passes underneath. There is a second magnet timed to be just past the outside coil . When the inside coil energizes and creates voltage in the outside coil I think it will repel the outside magnet creating force to turn the lower disc. This is what I'm after. If I wire this correctly the outside coil will energize the inside coil first to repel then the inside coil will energize the outside coil as well to attract. One attracting and the other repelling back and forth. I have ordered an oscilloscope to look at signals but atm. I cant. I hope I explained this well enough. I have 33 years working for NCR Corporation but it was on computers and not motors. Thank you

Related to Separated paraLLEL COILS WITH MAGNETIC FLUX INTO ONE

1. What is the purpose of separated parallel coils with magnetic flux into one?

The purpose of this design is to create a stronger and more efficient magnetic field. By separating the coils and then merging the magnetic flux into one, the magnetic field is able to be concentrated and amplified.

2. How does this design differ from traditional single-coil systems?

In traditional single-coil systems, the coils are wound together and the magnetic flux is shared among them. In the separated parallel coils design, the coils are isolated and the magnetic flux is directed into one concentrated field, resulting in a more powerful magnetic field.

3. What are the potential applications of this design?

This design can be used in various applications that require a strong and concentrated magnetic field, such as in electric motors, generators, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using separated parallel coils with magnetic flux into one?

One potential disadvantage is that this design may require more complex and precise manufacturing processes, which could result in higher costs. Additionally, the concentrated magnetic field may also produce stronger electromagnetic interference (EMI) compared to traditional single-coil systems.

5. Are there any research or developments being done in this area?

Yes, there are ongoing studies and developments in this area, particularly in the field of electric motors and generators, where this design has the potential to increase efficiency and power output. Researchers are also exploring the use of this design in other applications, such as fusion reactors and particle accelerators.