Separating a List: What to Do After Deallocating?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List
In summary, when deleting a list from an array of linked-lists, all nodes of the list must be deleted and the corresponding entry in the array must be set to NULL. Additionally, the array does not require any further action unless it was dynamically allocated.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

When I have to delete a list from an array of linked-lists, do I have to delete all the nodes of the list? Or do I have to do also something at the array??

There is a list, I have to separate this list into two others and delete the initial list from the array.

I used a function to deallocate the list. What else should I do?? (Wondering)

Technology news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

When I have to delete a list from an array of linked-lists, do I have to delete all the nodes of the list? Or do I have to do also something at the array??

There is a list, I have to separate this list into two others and delete the initial list from the array.

I used a function to deallocate the list. What else should I do?? (Wondering)

Hi! (Blush)

To destroy everything cleanly, we should iterate over the array, and iterate over each list in the array, deallocating the nodes as we go. Then the corresponding entry in the array should be set to NULL to indicate there is no list attached to it anymore. (Nerd)

There is nothing else to do with the array (assuming it was not dynamically allocated).

FAQ: Separating a List: What to Do After Deallocating?

1. What is "deallocating" in the context of list separation?

Deallocating refers to the process of freeing up memory resources that were previously allocated to a list. This is typically done when the list is no longer needed, and the memory can be reused for other purposes.

2. How do I know when to deallocate a list?

You should deallocate a list when you are finished using it and no longer need the data it contains. This can be determined by considering the scope of your program and when the list is no longer needed within that scope.

3. Can I deallocate a list multiple times?

No, you should only deallocate a list once. Attempting to deallocate a list more than once can cause errors in your code and potentially lead to memory leaks.

4. What should I do after deallocating a list?

After deallocating a list, you should set the variable that was pointing to the list to null. This ensures that the program knows the list is no longer in use and the memory can be reused.

5. Why is it important to properly deallocate a list?

Properly deallocating a list is important because it helps prevent memory leaks and ensures that memory resources are used efficiently. If a list is not deallocated, it can lead to performance issues and potentially crash the program if too much memory is being used.