Separation between lowest energy states

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the separation between the two lowest energy states for an electron confined in an infinite potential well. The equation provided is E = \frac{η2n2∏2}{2mL2}, but there is confusion about the variables and their meanings. The conversation ends with a helpful reference to a Wikipedia article on the topic.
Flucky
Could somebody point me in the right direction on how to go about starting this question please? In need of some guidance on where to begin.

Homework Statement

Calculate the separation between the two lowest energy states for an electron confined in an infinite potential well of width 1nm.

Homework Equations

This is where I'm struggling, I have an equation but there seem to be so many variable within the equation. I'm not provided with any equations and this one is the only one I can find on the topic..

E = [itex]\frac{η2n22}{2mL2}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org

This is indeed the equation of it. What is your trouble with it?

Flucky said:

Homework Equations

This is where I'm struggling, I have an equation but there seem to be so many variable within the equation. I'm not provided with any equations and this one is the only one I can find on the topic..

E = [itex]\frac{η2n22}{2mL2}[/itex]

I guess that should read roughly [itex]\frac{\hbar^2 n^2 \pi^2}{ 2mL^2} [/itex]. Don't mix the forum text symbols and latex, it won't work!

Anyway, do you know what the different symbols mean? You are given L; and h and m are certainly things you can look up somewhere.

voko said:
This is indeed the equation of it. What is your trouble with it?

clamtrox said:
I guess that should read roughly [itex]\frac{\hbar^2 n^2 \pi^2}{ 2mL^2} [/itex]. Don't mix the forum text symbols and latex, it won't work!

Anyway, do you know what the different symbols mean? You are given L; and h and m are certainly things you can look up somewhere.

Sorry for the delay I went for lunch.

I'm a little confused as there is only one length-related variable in the equation yet we are given, and asked for, another length (or does it simply mean the difference between energy values?).

Also what is η?

I'm trying to teach myself this topic and without guidance it's harder than I thought it would be, thanks for the input though you two.

voko said:
What is asked for is indeed the diff between energy values. I do not know what literature you use to study the subject, but you could use this as a reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_in_a_box

No idea there was a wiki article on it, much appreciated

Related to Separation between lowest energy states

Question 1: What is meant by "separation between lowest energy states" in science?

The separation between lowest energy states refers to the energy difference between the ground state (lowest energy level) and the first excited state of a system. It is a measure of the energy required to transition from the ground state to the first excited state.

Question 2: How is the separation between lowest energy states determined?

The separation between lowest energy states is determined by measuring the energy level of the ground state and the first excited state using spectroscopy techniques. The difference between these two energy levels gives the separation between the lowest energy states.

Question 3: What factors affect the separation between lowest energy states?

The separation between lowest energy states is affected by various factors such as the mass of the particles in the system, the strength of the forces between them, and the shape and size of the system. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and pressure can also influence the separation between lowest energy states.

Question 4: What is the significance of the separation between lowest energy states in chemistry?

The separation between lowest energy states is significant in chemistry as it determines the stability of a molecule or atom. A larger separation between the ground state and the first excited state indicates a more stable system, as it requires more energy to disrupt the system's lowest energy level.

Question 5: Can the separation between lowest energy states be altered?

Yes, the separation between lowest energy states can be altered by changing the conditions of the system, such as temperature and pressure. Additionally, external factors such as the presence of a catalyst or the application of an external energy source can also affect the separation between the lowest energy states.