Separator tank pumps out the liquid so as to keep the tank level

In summary, the formula for calculating pressure difference between two sensors in a tank is P2 - P1 = ΔP, and the pump at the bottom of the tank helps maintain a 52% tank volume between the two sensors.
petdem
Hello
I have a question please i am not sure about. I work with this machine as a operator but would like to learn more.

1. I have attached a picture of a juice separator tank. The juice enters the separator where the liquid goes to the bottom of the tank and the vapour rises to the top of the tank where it leaves to a condensor.The pump at the bottom of the separator tank pumps out the liquid so as to keep the tank level at 52% between the 2 sensors ...The 52% tank volume is calculated between the 2 sensors and not actually 52% of the actual tank volume...Liquid exists in about only 10% of the tank .The distance between the 2 sensors is 2.5metres.The pump with the bottom sensor is about 1.1metres beneath the bottom of the tank

What formula would i use to calculate the pressure...P2 is the top pressure sensor and P1 is the bottom sensor. I also think that static pressure is part of the equation. Is there a name for this equation of P2/P1 and Static?
How does it calculate 52% between these 2 sensor points? The pump at the bottom of the tank speeds up and slows down so as to keep the volume between the 2 sensors at 52% in the tank
Any advice appreciated

Regards

Pete

Attachments

• STATIC.pdf
    64 KB · Views: 173
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pete,

It sounds like you are trying to calculate the pressure difference between the two sensors in the tank. The formula for this is P2 - P1 = ΔP, where P2 is the top pressure sensor and P1 is the bottom sensor. This equation should also include the static pressure, as that will affect the pressure difference. The 52% tank volume is calculated by the pump speeding up and slowing down to keep the volume between the two sensors consistent. I hope this helps!

FAQ: Separator tank pumps out the liquid so as to keep the tank level

1. How does a separator tank work?

A separator tank is a container that separates different materials, such as liquids and solids, by density. The heavier material sinks to the bottom of the tank, while the lighter material floats to the top. This separation is achieved through the use of gravity and various mechanisms, such as pumps and valves.

2. Why does the separator tank need a pump to remove the liquid?

The pump in a separator tank is used to maintain the level of the liquid in the tank. As the lighter material floats to the top, it needs to be continuously removed from the tank in order to keep the tank level and prevent overflow. The pump ensures that the liquid is constantly being removed to maintain the desired level.

3. What happens if the separator tank pump fails?

If the pump in a separator tank fails, the liquid will not be able to be removed effectively and the tank level will rise. This can result in overflow and potentially damage the tank or surrounding equipment. It is important to regularly maintain and monitor the pump to prevent failure.

4. Can the pump be manually controlled in a separator tank?

Yes, the pump in a separator tank can be manually controlled. This is typically done through a control panel or switch that allows the operator to adjust the speed or on/off function of the pump. However, many separator tanks also have automated systems that regulate the pump based on the tank level.

5. How does the pump determine when to turn on and off in a separator tank?

The pump in a separator tank is often equipped with a sensor or float that detects the level of the liquid in the tank. When the level reaches a certain point, the pump will turn on and begin removing the liquid. Once the level decreases to a certain point, the pump will turn off. This process is continuous to maintain the desired tank level.